vinegar Killer

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by YardKeeper08, Apr 25, 2008.

1. YardKeeper08

YardKeeper08 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

So what ratio do you mix the vinegar for killer? I've got some creeping vine taking over a bare soil yard (no grass) that I'm going to mulch over.

2. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

I believe most people use straight vinager or buy the kind that are 20% acid. Mixtures with soap make it more oily to make it all stick to the leaves. Salt in the mixture gets in the soil to kill anything and everything for a while.

Overall vinegar is supposed to be a desicant, not a systemic killer like say a product like roundup.

3. YardKeeper08

YardKeeper08 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Thanks I'll give it a try. I'm covering the entire back yard anyway with mulch because they are allergic to grass.

4. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Straight %20 hort vinegar is hard to find anymore, at least for me. Burnout 2 is easier to find. Vinegar and clove oil. Works well for me.

5. If you shop around you should be able to find 28% acetic acid (strong vinegar) at a cleaning supply company. You may need to get them to order it in for you. I have to order 4 weeks ahead but they can get it

6. BCLM

BCLM LawnSite Member

Horticultural vinegar is getting hard to find these days is correct I do know a company in Canada who still sell this product as a cleaner for hard surfaces. I have had great sucess with Hort Vinegar product best applied in direct sunlight 20 mins later the plant is stripped of its waxy coat and is open to the elements which is heat stress and withers away, fantastic results, customer happy, clients and strata happy, do look for a commercial vinegar also from a cleaning comapny and it will work the same

7. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

I don't know what the regulatory hoops are for you guys in Canada but I can't apply a product labeled for cleaning to lawns.

8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

HEY!!!!! BCLM welcome to the forum, jump in. We'll do a little dance that you're here

:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:

GO GO does bring up a good point. What if you called it a "bed prep"?

9. Actually all the label says is Acetic Acid 28% so I think it would pass your government's test as it does mine. Just as in organics the cleaning industry finds what it needs from alternate sources.

10. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

does this stuff mess with the sprayer if left in it. Organic or not, it is still acid no?