Vines in bushes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FERT-TEK, Apr 21, 2005.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Not an expert, matter of fact I have little knowledge with this topic. Could you fert and squirt experts recommend a product that will remove undesirable vines from bushes without killing the bush. The customer states that he believes that the vines might be wild raspberry and or buck-thorn. Customer also stated that some of the vines are rather large and will need to be cut out but needs help with the smaller ones

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Paint the RU onto the vine .
    Maybe spray it on at a low rate that will not kill the desirable .
    Cut the vine off at ground level and keep cut off .
    Cut down the desirable to ground level and leave the vine and spray it with 24d in the hopes the desirable will grow back with out the vine

3. FERT-TEK

bump bump bump

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Air Head

You had better do a lot of Hoping. 2 4 D will kill most plants of shrubs and can poison the ground so they can't be replaced successfully.

FLC

"Wicking" is a term used to describe the process of applying a chemical to the leafs of undesirables and not the desirable plants. 2 4 D is excellent on vine-ing undesirables. Wick them with 2 4 D. This can be easily done with a cloth grove over a rubber glove to protect your self.

5. FERT-TEK

I guess wicking is the only way to take care of this problem. For those who have done this do you "wick" the entire plant or just the ends or as much as you can?

6. ArizPestWeed

Well ,you are not experienced .
    Only the leaves and perhaps other green parts will assorb the 'cide .
    I would only do the leaves .
    I'm looking foward to what Ric has to state .

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Air Head

Your right the leaves are good enough. Get as many as possible with out endangering the desirable plants.

Leaves will absorb herbicides a lot easier than bark. But don't think bark won't absorb. By adding oil to the 2 4 D it can kill a plants by applying to the bark. Even with out oil it can be absorbed, oil only helps hold it there.

8. ArizPestWeed

Now that I think of it , wines don't respond well to 'sate .
    I always ad the 24d for vines

9. ArizPestWeed

Dic
    It's " you're" not "your" .
    Just trying to help