1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

vinly phone book covers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BLC1, Oct 14, 2009.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I just got a call from a lady trying to sell me ad space on a vinly phone book cover. I have never heard of this or seen them around. She said over the last 2 years they have distributed 9000 around my area and its 240.00 for the 2 next 2 years.

What are your thoughts on this? Has anybody tried this or heard anything about it. It is competition free so it would be the only landscape ad on the cover.

2. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

We get about 4-5 phone books a year, keep 1 (just in case) toss the rest and use online resources most of the time, more up to date. For me it is like a book jacket, when I read it I take it off because it is a pain.
    My 2 cents
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The phone book covers are usually a scam. Not saying they aren't getting put out for people, but they don't print many, and there's usually only a few places people can even find them to pick them up. I believe there's a couple companies nationwide that do them, and they will work hard to get you to say "yes" to their deal. Yeah, I got suckered in, not just once, but twice years ago. First one actually gave me a stack of 30 or 40 of them, the second outfit didn't even have more than ONE to give to me, and I paid for an ad spot!

The phone book covers and city/county maps are probably 2 of the bigger wastes of advertisment money you will find... Just my 2 cents.
  4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

They won't be good unless they are left out in the open, like how a refrigerator magnet is generally in full view all the time.

If anyone does try this, I'd say only do it if they can prove the covers go to houses, not apartments.

I'd advertise on shopping carts first, but I won't do that either. People look at shelves when shopping, not the cart.

At our home, we toss most yellow page books away, and usually use the internet directory first anyway.
  5. castlerockmo

castlerockmo LawnSite Senior Member

I have done it in the past. Got the dollar bill ad. That didn't do a think for me I would have goten more enjoyment out watching my money burn in the yard! Another big waste of money is local maps for the branson area. NEVER AGAIN!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, they call every year. This year the guy calls up, and explains that they are offering only one spot to a landscaper and out of all the companies in the area, they are offering the spot to ME. (how lucky) I decline, he keeps persisting, saying what a good deal it is how it's "competition free" I decline again. He then takes $100.00 of the price. I still say no. He takes another $50.00 off. I say no again. He finally said, "have a good day" really fast, and hung up.
  7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, i cant believe your considering this!