1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Vintage Homelite C-51 chainsaw

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by speedster, Apr 12, 2010.

1. speedster

speedster LawnSite Member

I know a guy that has a vintage C-51 that he is wanting to sell. He's asking $30 for it and showed me that it starts easily and cut several limbs on some downed trees. I've been thinking about fining a used saw cheap that I can use occationally around the house to clean up fallen tree limbs. I don't plan on using it a lot or cutting fire wood. My original thought was to go buy a cheap Poulon Pro but that would cost me $150.

The homelite doesn't have kickback protection or automatica chain oiling. But it seems to start well and run fine.

Good deal for $30?

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

i would pass. I bought a craftsman 20" at a tag sale for $20 and she has taken down and cut up over 50 trees. Look for a used stihl, husky, or echo saw.

3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

For $30.00 I would buy it!!! Doesn't sound like you will be using it much.

If it breaks you're only out #30.00.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

he wont find parts for it.

5. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just saying that for 30 bucks... I would give it a try.

If it breaks and he can't find parts, Toss it and head in another direction (Used or New).:drinkup:

6. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk LawnSite Member

I'd pass, going to end up giving you trouble. spend $100 on a used one that you can get parts for.

7. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

What parts do you think you will need? Go for it. At that price it is disposable.