1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vinyl fence install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bmh1202, Feb 12, 2005.

1. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

I had a question about installing the pre-built vinyl. I'm talking about the kind that HD and Lowes sell. My question is do you dig all your holes first or put a section together and 'dry fit' to get your spacing. I've heard of it done both ways, just looking for the best way to do it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
  2. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I have done a bunch of fences and this is my advice. Run a string from corner to corner of the fence line. Dig your first hole, set the 1st post, measure the section and dig and set the 2nd hole. Just do that for each section making sure you keep the line straight. If you try to dig all the holes like you would if you were doing a wood fence it is real easy to get your spacing wrong. Digging the holes twice is no fun ,even shaving the holes because your spacing got messed up sucks. Been there, trust me it sucks. Once you get the line straight and get your 1st section it is a pretty fast process. Depending on how hard the ground is I would recommend a Dingo or something similar. Good luck.