vinyl siding cleaning help please

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by petroskie, Jul 21, 2011.

1. mow town

mow town LawnSite Member

Just bought a new Dewalt power washer; 4200psi @ 4.0 gpm. Instructions say not to use bleach, but talks about use of other soaps and chemicals(mentions nothing specific). This is my first venture into power washing and would like to do it right without ruining equipment and clients siding or paint. Please help me out.

2. Torque454

Torque454 LawnSite Member

You wouldn't want to run bleach through the pump itself. I run it through the pump and gun all the time. Just be sure to flush the chemical injector and lines with water after you're done. Since the chemical injector only draws at low pressure, that means you'll need to get a bucket of clean water and put the chemical hose in it, and then use the black soap tip (low pressure) to pump the water through it.

Dont forget to do that because bleach IS corrosive, but it should be fine to use for a short time as long as its flushed afterwards.

You could mix bleach-water in a pump up sprayer and use it that way. I do that some as long as its not a 2 story house I am washing.

3. Pressure Washing Cleve

Pressure Washing Cleve LawnSite Member

You can use an xjet or a downstreamer.

4. Torque454

Sorry, I meant I run it through the pump and hose and chemical injector all the time.

5. Torque454

I dont know if his machine would work with an X-jet, plus its a big expense. And unless I am confusing this thread with another one, I think he is just a homeowner wanting to wash his home. I dont think he would want to spend $125+ on an X-Jet he might only use once or twice.

I have general pumps version of the X-jet and honestly I hate it. I dont like it at all. You cant tell where the chemical is being applied because you cant see the stream all you see is the freggin mist coming off of it. Its like using a zero degree tip. Cant hardly see where the stuff is landing unless you're up close. Big no no on vinyl siding ;)

A downstreamer I think is what he has on his machine already. Thats the one he said the instructions say not to use bleach with. I'd do it anyways if it were me. In fact I DO do it with my downstreamer all the time. I prefer my downstreamer to anything else, its just a pain to soap, clear the line, rinse, move to another area, fill the line with soap, apply soap, clear line, rinse, move one, over and over. Would be fine for a one time thing for a homeowner, but a giant pain and time waster for someone like me doing it all the time. Time is money $$$$

6. Pressure Washing Cleve

Pressure Washing Cleve LawnSite Member

Just started downstreaming this year. Still carry the xjet for emergencies.

7. mow town

mow town LawnSite Member

Thanks for the helping info. I've been using a lesser and older model to apply the soap/bleach/water and the higher pressure Dewalt to rinse. Not the most cost effective way to operate but have had some good results.
    I thought when I bought this Dewalt I was getting a professional power washer but I'm seeing 13HP Honda powered power washers going for twice what I paid. I'm guessing I bought a high end homeowners washer. Am I correct?

8. JCinNJ

JCinNJ LawnSite Member

yep, its a high end home owners washer

9. PremierLandCare

PremierLandCare LawnSite Member

Jc powerwash is correct. It is an artillery fungus that comes straight from your mulchbeds. Ive been in this line of work for a long time and after hours of research ive found only one thing that will take it off with ease. Its a chemical called "The Brown Stuff" run it through your chemical injector let it sit for about 5seconds, wash down real real good and it melts right on off like butter. Failing to remove all chemical from house will result in a very ugly brown stain that will not come off. :usflag:

10. JCinNJ

JCinNJ LawnSite Member

where do you find "the brown stuff"? I would like to test it