Vinyl vs magnetic signs...?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Turf Commando, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Who has decided on vinyl lettering on their truck vs magnetic signs with vinyl lettering ...?
    I'm currently tossed on which logo to go with. If you have a magnetic logo on truck feel free to share ...Joe
  2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Obviously, the magnetic signs are removable. They also wear out paint. Dirt can get between the magnet and the paint, and the slightest movement causes damage. If you see one that's been on a long time (like those magnetic 'ribbons' people put on their cars) you may notice that the paint is abraded underneath.
  3. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

The magnet ones will also stick to your truck if you don't remove them enough. I learned that the hard way.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i'm in the market right now and i found that the mags say I'M temporary the vinyl seems like your for real also you can get a little vinyl at a time and mags blow off and faade PAINT
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yah don't do magnets they suxor lol
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I used to do magnets, so I could take them off easily and use my truck for personal things and not feel like a billboard. I finally took the plunge and went straight vinyl. Vinyl is the way to go. It looks so much better, no maintenance. Just a great way to go.
  7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Go with Vinyl I wanted to get magnets but when they only lasted my uncle two years i went with then vinyl..Much better
  8. grass guys

grass guys LawnSite Member

I have had magnets for the past 8 years on my truck and I love them. Every other week I will take them off and give them a good washin with soap and water, then I will stick them back on my truck and I'm good to go. I also like magnets cause with the gas prices the way they are now I can take my magnets and stick them to my car and go out and make sales calls, with vinyl you can't do that unless you want to vinyl all your vehicles. I think it is just a smarter way to advertise your business. One more thing with vinyl you can only do so much on the design side but with magnets there are endless possibilities. Like mine for instance, I work at a local sign company and I designed my own, check it out it is attached. For falling/blowing off the truck while driving down the road, yes when I first put them on my truck it happened to me but when you round all four corners than that problem disappears. So to answer your question I would go with magnets verse vinyl.

Tgg Lawnsite picture.jpg
  9. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

I had magnets my first couple seasons. I lost one off one of my plow trucks one winter, getting rust spots behind where they used to be on my personal pickup, and they came off weekly when I washed the truck. Vinyl looks more professional, about the same cost, last longer, no maintenance, and you don't have to worry about matching the color of the truck, which is next to impossible to do with the background of the magnet.
  10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the feedback.
    My local sign maker does vinyl lettering only charges $175 for the doors and tailgate on trucks and even installs it at no extra cost .....