Vinyl Yard Signs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProSvcs, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

As a lot of you know, I am planning on putting out approximately 200 signs along the road leading to developments that I want to work in. This is in conjunction with approximately 5000 fliers (I know this isn't alot). I also am planning on running an 12 week ad in two different papers and sticking magnet business cards on approx 2500 mailboxes.

I bought everything to make my own signs as well as the lettering on my truck and trailer (I really hate to pay someone for what i can do myself).

I have attached a pic of my first attempt at the sign thing. Let me know what you folks think.

The pic didnt come out real clear. I will post another tommorrow when I can take pics outside.

The tree in the upper left is green as is the grass and line.

I am planning on doing the same design on the truck unless you folks can give me some pointers.

2. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

Here is the pic

3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I hate to be the first to bring it up but check with the Postmaster about magnets on the mailbox if you didn't already.Around here anything touching the mailbox goes right in the mail truck with the carrier.I would hate to see someone spend that much money and lose out.
  4. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Could you clue me in to how difficult it is to make your own vinyl signs and lettering for the truck and where do I get the materials.
    Thanks in advance.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

IMHO...its too busy...Especially if you plan on mounting to your truck or you are using them on customers lawns. Also, why two numbers? If you get rid of one you can make the other much bigger...go the total length of the sign.

I'm of the philosophy of KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. I would want my customers to know three main things...who I am, what I do, and how to contact me. If its a yard sign they sort of already know what I do because they'll see the new flower bed, plant install, whatever and want to see my number while driving by in their car. This is just my opinion, hopefully others will give you a different perspective and you can decide what is best for you.

All in all the work you did already looks like a professional print/sign shop did it. I look at it as if your sign is neat (straight lines, nice logo, square, etc.) your work will be as well. Which I think can be important...IMO looks like you are not a rag tag show. BTW, I like the logo.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, pick the extras off, clear it up so the primary lettering can be larger.
    have 1 primary phone number on signs & trucks, 2 numbers on ads & business cards, remember on the truck or a sign on the side of the road they go by fast, you want the people to absorb the important stuff fast. if there is too much lettering they won't catch it all then they won't remember any of it.
    just my 02
    I use 2 numbers also and thats how i do it. put the one thats most likely to be answered on signs and the truck. :D
  7. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

How much cheaper is it really to do your own and buy the materials for it??
    just wondering :)
  8. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

I think you are right for the number. I think I will stick with just the 800 #.

The signage on the truck and trailer will be broken up. Everything from the grass up will stay as one logo. The rest of the info will be listed seperate from the logo. The signage space on the trailer for just the logo portion of the sign will be 48" x 48". I think this will really stand out.

The sign that you see is intended for placing on the side of the road leading into developments that I want to work in (Areas that I dont service ATM).

Thanks for compliment's. The Logo was entirely put together from bits and pieces of logo's from gophergraphics.

If you can think of a one liner that i could use to describe the services offered so that i can make it less busy, it would be greatly appreciated.

I dont believe i am rag tag, although this is first year full time. I have many times been accused of highballing, but never lowballing.

Thanks for the suggestions

The reason that I purchased the equip is that for the size signage list above for the trailer, i was quoted over 800.00 and this did not include the truck or listing all services seperately. I used to be a Computer Consultant up until about 3 months ago. I consulted for several high end printers and sign shops. (this is how I knew the procedures to layout the vinyl work) I purchased everything to do the truck, trailer, and signs for around 2000.00. For me this is a good investment because any time I need different signs i have the ability to just go to my basement and make one. I bought the smalles vinyl cutter on the market (Stikka 12) used for appro 400.00. This machine will cut up to 9 inch letters and i can split the letter in half to give me an 18 inch letter if needed.

It is not all that hard, but i would suggest you buy a video of the procedures for application before wasting several thousand dollars. You can purchase everything you need here.

I am now in the process of looking for a used 4 color press to do my own fliers, postcard, doorhangers, etc.

Lux Lawn,

Thank you for bringing that up, however our postal people are too lazy to remove them from the side of the mailbox (If they notice them at all). I find that in most cases they are not even competant enough to keep my mail out of my neighbors box.

Thanks to all that replied
  9. ProSvcs

ProSvcs LawnSite Member
    from MD

The sign you see cost me 4.00 in material. I dont count my time because I am always up late anyway.
  10. shaughnessylawn

shaughnessylawn LawnSite Member

here you go check this place out I bought a vinyl machine from them $500