Virginia Beach

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by economiclawncare, May 19, 2004.

1. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I called today and the only way to get the fert certification is through the Virginia Turfgrass Council. On the 26th of February in Virginia Beach is the event. Its at the Virginia Beach Resort Hotel & Conference Center. I'm glad they require Certification because it keeps a higher standard for this industry. I've been in this industry since I was 18, I'm going on 34. I've seen alot of scrubs that think they can just put whatever down. Nice to see this change. Pesticide Recertification is also available. Didn't have time last year to take that test. I'll be done reading these books for the 2nd time now. Scheduling that test soon.

2. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

I have a current VA Fertilizer/Lime Contractor-Applicator Permit but the ag dept hasn't notified me with any changes. I hope they do require some education!

3. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

anyone have a stand on aerator that i can rent for a day from you?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. maglandscape

maglandscape LawnSite Member

I just got a response from a potential client in Va Beach in a high end neighborhood who had asked for a mulch quote,etc. He responded that my prices were higher than expected and he named 2 lawncare companies, mid-sized companies, and told me they have been installing & delivering for $45 and $50 per cy. Does that seem really low to you guys? I believe him about the prices because in some of the equally nice neighborhoods I work in, I had my clients that have always had us mulch go through them just for mulching last year and us for everything else.

5. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

i will not do it that cheap. im at $70 a yard does not include cleaning beds.

They must not buy at a mulch yard.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. maglandscape

maglandscape LawnSite Member

I do $65 and a delivery fee depending on the amount. I just was surprised; I feel like they are screwing everyone and themselves with that pricing. I was just surprised that a decently sized company would price it out that low.

7. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

I typically charge $65 per yard myself. Not sure how anyone can do it for that price. You would have to have a huge shipment and the ability to load it yourself. But then wouldnt you want to make the money back for your loader?

8. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

$65 here as well. I agree with willretire, they are not paying mulch yard prices for the product.

9. bigclawnman

Posted via Mobile Device

10. bigclawnman

Several years ago i got a price from a hardwood company that would charge me. $17 per yard. But i would have to buy a minimum of 75 yards.
    Posted via Mobile Device