1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Virginia req. Fert license ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nitro Junkie, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Nitro Junkie

Nitro Junkie LawnSite Member
    from va

New to the biz and in very, very, early stages of startup. Does the use of granulated fertalizer (scotts for ex.) require a license ?
  2. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

As of now the Virginia law does not require a person applying Scotts or other home use fertilizer to have a fertilizer licence.
    A business licence under lawn maintence covers this.

Commerical Fertilizer License
    Any person who distributes regulated product shall obtain a license prior to distributing any regulated product. A license is required for each manufacturing location that distributes any regulated product within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
  3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know if this still true?
  4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Whoa, not true at all. A business license and a pesticide applicator's business license are two totally different things. To have a pesticide business license you must employ at least one certified applicator with a valid applicators license. If you are harry home owner and only applying to your property your ok if you are a for hire applicator you need a business license, pesticide business license, commercial applicators license certified in at least 3B and insurance. Your typical landscape business insurance does not cover pest/fert applications unless you specify the do and then will ask to see your pesticide business license.
  5. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

where do you get this license? I'm going full service this year and I'm going to pay for my partner to get his certs. I'm going to do a google search now...that's how I found this. :clapping:

6. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

ask the state directly dont rely on what people say here, facts can often become misconstrued.
  7. TurfsUpLawns

TurfsUpLawns LawnSite Member

From what I am hearing Virginia is to start Fertilizer Certification February 2013
  8. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard that once but never a date I will have to look into it and find out from my local inspector ill post when I hear something.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for the late response, I have been away. VA req a fertilizer/lime permit.
    If you are trying to get away with combo-ferts like Scotts 1234 you are doing it illegally and will get burnt. These are PESTICIDES and require PESTICIDE BUSINESS LICENCE and CAT3B applicators lic. If you are going to just apply fert, by July you will only be fertilizing crabgrass and weeds! Do it right, get the lic.
  10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're looking to get certified in VA you can check with your local cooperative extension agent to find out how and where. Here's a list of certification dates from the VA Turfgrass Council: http://vaturf.org/Events.html