1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

virus software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cclllc, Dec 15, 2005.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I getting ready to update my virus protection and was wondering what we all you.Please list pros and cons of each.Thanks.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I recently upgraded my Nortons to the $50 package and had nothing but problems. I should of just kept it basic. I can't even seem to get Nortons off the computer now. When I try opening an existing .xls file or .doc file, it does a virus scan and take about 5 minutes to come up. I am running "eTrust ezAnti Virus" now. It's a free version I found through the MS website. Where I starting to have problems with Nortons is when I went from using Windows ME to Windows XP....well I will say when I started having more problems.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay away from Macafee too. It came on my Dell computer. When it expired I just resubscribed - and had nothing but problems from then on. I searched their website and found many others with the same problem. I finally gave up and bought Staples/Panda. So far it works great.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use the free version of AVG and it seems to do ok. I dont do the email forwards that alot of viruses seem to be attached. I mainly surf a few lawn care forums and equipment sites

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

7. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

I use Avast (Free Version) and Ad-Aware (Free version) No problems :drinkup:

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

NOD32. Even better than AVG....

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm suprised to hear the "norton is the worst" comments. My 2 friends that are computer techs both say that norton, which is really Symantec, is the best anti-virus software around. I just the other day updated my Norton Internet Security as my "free trial version" was expiring. I also had the Symantec "corperate" version on my old computer. Worked well there too. Both versions have Firewalls built in.

I also run Zone Alarm Pro. I have heard how it's difficult to run but I like the fact that it alerts me when other programs are trying to access the internet. I was able to actually stop a couple spyware programs on my old computer that way that were not being dectected by any of the other spyware/adware programs.

The only "free" program I have is AdAware. It always finds things on my computer that have found their way in.

I have been advised to never trust a free anti-virus program. You get what you pay for....

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Main problem with Norton is the the fact it is a memory hog. Ties up too much in system resources. There are better out there that will not slow your system down.