Visa/Mastercard

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by robertsturf, Feb 11, 2008.

1. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We are considering accepting Vis/Mc for payment from our customers. I was wondering what type of cards do you accept? Is is worth the hassle? What percentage do they charge? How do I get in contact with a provider? It seems like I have gotten a lot of offers in the past for this service and now that I need it I can't find any info on one. Thanks for your input.

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have one customer that insists on paying me through Paypal. They charge 2.9% and the percentage goes down once you get over $1000.

3. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

We take Visa / MC. They charge us about 3% of the ticket sale. There is also a $50 / year charge to have the merchant account.

Is it worth it? I don't know. It's nice having the money in the bank really fast. The one thing I do like is that it differentiates me from the mom and pop companies who just take Cash. It sends the message that I am going to be here for a while.

I also use it for one time service things. For example: If someone want's their lawn sprayed, we tell them it's $xx.xx and collect the money right over the phone. I don't have to send a bill and hope they pay.

4. robertsturf

Ok I understand all that. How do we set it up?

5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Paypal is simple, just go to Paypal.com and set up an account. I would NOT put your bank account info on there for direct deposit though. I would just have them send you a check at the end of the month from the payments you get.

6. robertsturf

Great ,thank you. I already have a paypal account set up for E-bay!!