vista's free 3 hour course

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by barefeetny, Feb 26, 2008.

1. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

So it was a nasty day... but went down anyway....

it was real cool... i figured it would just be a huge vista ad... but surprisngly we spend 45% of the time talking design... anf 45% talking technical aspects....

less then 10% of time we talked about individual fixtures and that was mostly in the context of application.... Was a great primer for people like me that knew very little....instructor/ rep encouraged everyone to explore the other companys lines and education as well...did give us a nice handbook and worksheets......

for me it was a nice short lesson and i learned alot. i still plan on getting the book from joey D too..if fact the lco next to me said it was like "THE bible" .... at least now i will understand some of the facets of the buisness....

From what i saw the fixtures....hahaha learned a new word... and transformers looked top notch.....i checked out the table afterwards....

So if your clueless like me... i can reccomend... and thanks to all you guys who offered the help and some motivation...And for all the guys who are very brand loyal... he was very industry positive....and encouraged everyone to seek the education and check out the other names in the industry..

Now maybe this spring i can attempt something
    Nate

2. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I am headed to a one day Vista seminar on Thursday. Should be good reinforcement of the basics. My brother went to an advanced seminar that covered mostly business aspects. They had some really good spreadsheets for bidding and tracking expenses. I have copies of them that I plan on putting to use.

I also plan on getting the lighting 'bible' ASAP.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

ok first off I would like to say NOTHING should be compared to the Bible :)

second off please guys... dont think you can learn proper lighting installation in a 3 hour course and a book. Please for the sake of the industry take the time to learn more before attempting an installation.

4. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

i plan on staying in my own yard for quite some time....

that way i can take my time and try diffrent things....

i know with enough time i can get this.... i usually have an eye for detail oriented work

and no disrespect on the bible

where i'm from this expression means a definitive source... like the bible

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

When you are talking about the "bible" of landscape lighting (I agree with you Billy) you are talking about The Landscape Lighting Book by Janet Moyer. I would say that Nates' book is a very good over all manual though and I recommend it often.

6. Venturewest

ditto that
    per Webster
    4: a publication that is preeminent especially in authoritativeness or wide readership <the fisherman's bible> <the bible of the entertainment industry>

I also agree that a 1 day training seminar is not sufficient in itself. I attended a Nightscaping seminar that was pretty good at the very basics. After reading this forum for 2 years I think this Vista seminar will be a good refresher. I would like to attend Unique university in addition to devouring Nate Mullen's book.

Billy, what would you say was your absolute most valuable training tool when you were first starting?

7. Venturewest

Would you say that for the first big read on landscape lighting that Janet's book is the best? Is it design that is the biggest focus?

8. NightScenes

No, I would say for an all-around manual you should read Nates book because it covers everything in a general manner. If you want to be a landscape lighting designer you have to read Jan's book. Jan's book is for those who want to take it to a "biblical" level.

9. Venturewest

I will try to pick both of them up on Amazon. I talked to Longhorn the other day. They were really nice guys. They are sending me some information. I guess the Vista rep doing their seminar down there is the same putting ours on. They are going to send the CAST manual also. Should be a good read.

They had very good things to say about the guys on here who they are familiar with.

10. NightScenes

The folks at Longhorn are some of the best. Rich Swor in the Plano area will take very good care of you.