Visual Difference in old PVB versus AVB?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Jun 4, 2007.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Rainy day question.......

The other day I saw what I think is an old atmospheric vacuum breaker located outside the house on the copper feed to a residential manifold. But I am not sure if it is a pressure vacuum breaker.

It has no valve handles. Nor any ports of any kind, except the 3/4" input on the bottom and the 3/4" output on the side. The canopy was missing and you can see the plastic poppet inside. There is a single cast-in-place bar across the top where the canopy would go. A single post in the center of the white plastic poppet floated into the bar. Well, it didn't "float" and seat correctly when I turned on the water feed to it. I poked at the poppet until it seated, however it does seep some water.

So, this is an AVB? Or a PVB? Did PVB's ever come without built-in valves or other ports (that I see on new ones) besides the inlet/outlet?

What visual differences are there in AVB versus PVB?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It's an AVB, and non-functional by definition. Get it changed to a PVB, if the elevation requirements (at least a foot higher than any downstream pipe or head) can be met.

3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

I told the customer that it should be replaced w/PVB or removed (we do not require any residential vacuum breakers or dbl checks here anymore). But this , um, er... "thrifty" customer didn't want to. Typical "it has worked for years and years, no need to change it" response.

4. Wet_Boots

You basically want to put some distance between yourself and sprinkler systems without functional backflow protection. No one wants to let go of a paying customer, but the AVBs pretending to be PVBs are on my 'stay away' list.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We have old ones where plumbers put them in the boxes next to the right angle valves (all brass, of course).:dizzy:

That site (which is 1/2 county DOE) had the county pay to put in an automatic system last year but we had final approval on what was done. A PVB went in protecting the entire site.

6. PurpHaze

I had a hard time understanding this whole thing but are you saying that your area doesn't require any type of backflow prevention or just certain types on residential installs?

7. Walkgood get a camera and post pics. I want to see this thing.

8. Wet_Boots

About the only finctional AVBs I ever see are ones I installed, often on some systems that had no backflow protection, and above-ground manifolds (valve outlet pointing down) - Richdel used to sell just the AVB portion of their antisyphon valves, which made them good for retrofitting those manifolds.

9. PurpHaze

Cut a brass or plastic ASV in half and you have it. :)

10. PurpHaze

And then...

febco710-2.jpg