Voice recognition software

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Stonewall, May 31, 2004.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody use voice recognition software? I know it's available, but not sure on the price or what applications might be available in the green industry?
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Stonewall,

What would you want it to do?
  3. Stonewall

I would like to be able to speak all entries into a pda for Quickbooks related software, access and enter into MS Word documents, spreadsheets, email, etc.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have heard that many voice recognition don't work 100%. Also before you can start using it totally you have to train it by going through mulitply exercises for it will recognize your voice and what you are saying
  5. EnvEdge

EnvEdge LawnSite Member

Tiedeman is right they aren't 100%. I've used Dragon Naturally Speaking and I got so fed up with it that I quit using it.

You can't just talk, if you do that a lot of errors start showing up and then you have to go back and correct them even after you do the exercises so it recognizes your voice. I tried it out for just entering text into Word.

If you want to keep track of "mental" notes I'd recommend a voice recorder and then at the end of the day just play it back. But to do what you want is really impractical. But, if you want to buy one Dragon Naturally Speaking is supposed to be the best. Try ebay.
  6. Stonewall

I also read that Dragon is the best. Even if I could just use it to keep a diary of what my kids are doing as they grow up, it would be great. How long ago did you try Dragon Naturally Speaking?