1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

volatility of liquid 'merit'

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mkroher, Jun 21, 2007.

1. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know how volatile merit is in liquid form? Most of my customers don't have irrigation, and spraying around rainfall would be almost impossible.

I only have a 100gal skid tank, so I want to keep it at low volume, about
    1 gal/K. I refuse to use granular, the cost doubles in $/acre easily. Plus I like to mix in bifenthrin.

I guess I'll have to risk it, and pray for those late day thunderstorms. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

since when is merit "volitile?"
  3. mkroher

in liquid form?
  4. mkroher

Mol. wt. 255.7 M.f. C9H10ClN5O2 Form Colourless crystals, with a weak characteristic odour. M.p. 144 °C V.p. 4 ´ 10-7 mPa (20 °C); 9 ´ 10-7 mPa (25 °C)

errrr n/m then. you're right olive.. I guess imidacloprid isn't volatile at all.
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

The only thing you need to worry about is the liquid merit needs to be watered in asap after its applied to be effective. you have a longer window with the granular, thats why I use it. You know your customers will not water!
  6. mkroher

why is that though? If imidicloprid is a cystal, what's the difference if it uses a liquid for a carrier, or if it sits around a granular pellet?

I would think it's like salt water. The water evaporates and leaves the salt crystals behind. It's physically the same concept. I hope? V.p. 4 ´ 10-7 mPa (20 °C) <-- It's not going anywhere with that vapor pressure.

Granular.... $30-40 for a bag of merit gets you 10K. ~$120-160/acre?? RIPOFF
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The dry product may be more expensive--but it is quicker to apply. Less labor means the cost isn't much different. And it is more flexible--fetilizer in one spreader. Merit in a different spreader. All in one trip. Actually I use Merit plus fertilizer. Non merit customers get weed control.
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Imidcloprid breaks down under UV light. That's why it needs to be watered in.