volly ball

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lukemus53, Aug 23, 2002.

1. lukemus53

lukemus53 LawnSite Member
    from 28071

how's this for making your day.this afternoon i was mowing the playground for a church that has a grade school.i was mowing the volley ball court.someone hand taken the net down on one end and had it pile on the other post with just the tie ropes hanging on the ground.instead of shutting mower down and tieing rope up i decided to mow as close as i could,then come back with week eater.BIG mistake! i,m runnin' 52 inch bob-cat with 23 hp kawi,double blades-gators on top.quicker than a cat can lick his *** my mower sucked up the intire volley ball net and rapped that sucker in those blades to stay. i spent the next 40 minutes laying under that thing cutting the net out.thank goodness i had just sharpened my trusty pocket knife.i couldn't cuss anyone but myself.i can say this ,that 23 kawi eat it up and never lost a beat.ha!
  2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

:( Bummer
  3. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

same thing happend to me a few weeks ago. i came around a corner and this canoe is sitting there with about 9 inches of rope. and quicker then **** from a buffet the whole 30 feet was in my blades. but i learned screw cutting the stuff out. just take the whole blade off.
  4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Dog chains are my favorite:angry:
  5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Dog chains and electrical cords. I have a customer that has on of those cheap in ground pools that are like a little about the ground, but the majority is below. Anyway, they have a skimmer and have to have power for the thing so they hang this cord from a tree branch in the big maple tree and the rest is on the ground. Haven't hit it yet but I know before the year is over I'm gonna hit that cord. The morons get a dark green blue color, wonder if I can see that? :rolleyes: :dizzy:
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I hit a big piece of thick grade construction plastic and when it wrapped around the hot spindles it reformed itself/ That was not fun. 30 minutes with a stanley knife. :angry:
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I'll bet we have all done this kind of thing at some point in our career.:blush:

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

the whole net wrapped your spindle.
    thats worse than my worst. and thats sayin something. on top of the mower problems, u probably got to buy a new net forum.
  9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

How 'bout this.....

I walked a neighbor's lawn with him to give him an estimate.
    He pointed out to me a "fish tape" which is a thin flat wire that electricians use to snake through walls, etc.

It was coiled up, but was probably 50'long+

Weeellllll.... he told me go ahead and cut, and I told him I'd take care of it on Monday (3 days away)

Cut all of the lawn and it looked beautiful (was 6" high before cut)

On last pass, I had just one small corner to get, and guess what was lying there!
    To make it worse, the customer was just pulling in his driveway coming home from work... :blush:
    ... my scag WB grabbed this thing and made all sorts of noises as SPARKS flew from the deck before I could get the PTO switched off......... OOOPPPSS!
    Glad I was done cutting, and able to take the machine home and remove the 30' of wire or so that it wove into 2 of the blades.... even with the blades off it took 5 minutes to un-ravel.
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i did that once, but i ran over blueberry nets that you put over the bushes so your birds dont eat it. It was my first time mowing the account, and they were in deep grass i couldnt see. Luckily the owner said it was his fault, and they were old anyway, and told me not to worry about it.