1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Voltage drop on lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tbarchaser, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have a job lined up for next week and it will require
    17-20w spots and 19-20w floods.
    Now the house is 4500sf first floor and the lights we be to seprate 500w systems front and back.

The problem is with the back...it looks like it will be a 180' run around the pool deck with two lines splicing into that at 60 and 120' both of those go 50' and have 60w of lights on them. and power is on the side of the house so I know I will run out of voltage.

I know this wont work...even with a 500w transformer
    Any ideas? I cant add a outlet in the back. I know I will loose 2-3 volts by the end of the line and have yellow light.

Any Ideas?
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Why not just use a bigger guage wire to run those lines.
  3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

Why not call the company that makes the transformer,they should be able to help you out.
  4. Tbarchaser

from Florida

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Put in a 900 W tri tap transformer and enter the power on that run in the center. You should not have any problems
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever tried the multi tap transformers from Unique. They do make an 1120 watt Xformer. But they have multiple leads coming out that vary in outgoing voltage. Use the higher voltage leads for the longer runs. I believe the highest voltage lead is around 18 or 20. I've used about 10 of these transformers and they work great. Never a problem.
  7. Tbarchaser

from Florida

DanaMac, Uniscaper,
    I feel both of those ideas will work great. I will prob go with a multi tap and run a home run out the center of the back yard and split to those two islands. with 10g, the distance and load I will need at least 17 volts. The Multi tap will give me more room for real world voltage and some room to play. All the planning in the world can go to crap real quick in the field.