Voltage

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ChadsLawn, Jun 20, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the voltage supposed to be at the battery while its running? Mine shows 12.44 with PTO off
    kees 52" 22hp kohler

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Most batteries will hold 12.50 volts with the engine off, Sounds like you have a charging system problem. You can go here; http://www.kohlerplus.com/login.asp click on enter as guest and down load a pdf service manual with all the test procedures.

3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

With the engine running full throttle the voltage should be 13.5-14.7 volts on the battery. It should maintain that voltage with all electrical loads turned on as well.

4. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you ask?
    Does your starter sound sluggish or do you hear other abnormal sounds? 12.4 Vdc is certainly on the low side for a normal charging system, but you may or may not have a problem. If this voltage will maintain over extended periods, like months and not gradually drop off, then IMO you should be ok. A good place to start is to check the battery voltage, at the battery posts, under load. Have a friend hold the V-meter on the posts and watch it (the meter, not the battery) as you turn the starter. You may even want to pull the plug wires, but _not_ the plugs so it won't start, as your interest is to see what the voltage does. Check it several times throughout a regular day when the mower is being used a substantial amount. Let us know what you observe.

5. ChadsLawn

I did the testing on the regulator plug.. there are 3 wires 2 white and 1 purple.. The purple has voltage(which is coming from the battery) The 2 white wires have no voltage at all(which is coming from the stator.So I think my stator is bad. Would you agree Restrorob?

6. Restrorob

If you performed the test as described on page 8.16 and got a reading of less than 28 volts AC across the two white wires at 3600 rpm I would say the stator is bad. But I have seen the magnets come un-glued from the flywheel and wipe the stator out also. So when removing a Kohler flywheel always use a puller of some kind (steering wheel) and don't strike the crankshaft with a hammer to pop it loose, If the magnets are not broke loose the shock from striking the end of the shaft could break them loose.

7. ChadsLawn

ok so tonight Ill take the motor off and check the stator..its only $50 so thats not too bad.. Thanks for the help

8. ChadsLawn

I put a new stator on, set the DMM to 200v and still nothing(0.00) I know its not charging because after a couple mowing's, the battery is low on charge. I know its not the battery because Ive used 2 diff batteries and both hold a charge from the charger.

I took my flywheel to a local shop and the Mech. said that the flywheel was in good condition. All magnets were in place and in good condition.
    So what else could be my problem?

9. Restrorob

If you have battery voltage 12.5 going to the purple wire on the voltage regulator that would be the only thing left to replace. I have not found a test procedure for the regulator other than one with a special tester from Kohler.

If your unit has a electric PTO clutch are you running it at wide open throttle ?
    These clutches draw a lot of voltage and could drain a battery if ran 3/4 or less rpm.

10. ChadsLawn

yes always 3/4 or higher on the PTO... If I unplug the plug on the regulator, the 2 white wires have 0 volts. But the purple wire will have whatever volts the battery has correct? I also did the ohms test on the 2 white wires coming from the stator and they were at .3 ohms. according to the tests on the pdf file, my stator is ok.But yet it doesnt read any volts?