volumetric cement mixers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by n2h20, Dec 27, 2005.

1. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

These http://reimermix.com/ are new to me and in my city (Sacramento) they are everywhere. Do any of you use these guys rather than the traditional barrel mixers?
    They can carry enough to make up to 10 yards (legally) of concrete.
    If so what do you think of the cement? better mix, or worse mix?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Those are mainly a small batch truck they are good for guys doing footings etc. Allot of redimix trucks won't come and deliver you say a yard of concrete.

The thing with those trucks is they can mix you a fresh batch of concrete instead of one that has been in a barrel type truck that was stuck in the freeway traffic with concrete that is already kicking.

Those batch trucks are too slow to make 10 yards so if you are doing a large foundation they don't work.

The only reason why Reimer mixer ad says it makes better concrete is its a little fresher but otherwise concrete has to meet standards so concrete out of a regular mixer is the same.

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

did you actually read the info???
    they are not small batch trucks.. it will hual more volume of material than a traditional mixer turck (does not have to carry the water weight)..

they are not too slow.. 75 yards per hour...... you call that slow?????

there are many different specifications with concrete.. 200 psi. 500 psi, etc...
    this truck can deliver to different sites with different requirements with one load.....

you might want to read the info first before you go bashing it.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If its not what is used in his area, it sucks.

Haven't you learned by now?

5. n2h20

I actually drive one of these things.. just started about 2 months ago so im learning it.. I have heard different things about them from the contractors we work with.. Some LOVE It and some HATE and others think its just cement,
    We usually make a 5 sack mix. I have produced 10.5 yards in about 15-20 minutes. not bad,, I could have turned everthing up and doubled production.
    He was right when he said we can carry more because we dont have to carry the water weight.

I wanted to hear what you thought of these mixers..
    This is just a job to pay the bills... or part of them... for now..

6. n2h20

our average sized job is between 3-10 yards although we like the 40 and 50 yard jobs..$$$$ we have to trucks, so one guy mixes while the other guy drives and reloads..,.

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

They are slow, but have their purpose. If you are driving around a given area fizing spots in the pavement, they are nice because you can dump as you need to rather than risking a traditional load healing up in the barrel. Given the choice, give me a McNealus barrel mix from a Mack powered truck any day.

8. Gravel Rat

These are the type of redimix trucks used in B.C. http://www.macktrucks.com/dealers/assets/custom_images/26_Mayco1.jpg

Here in B.C. millions of cubic meters of redimix is mixed its all what is used for house foundations to large commercial buildings from tilt up contruction to formed foundations and stick framing.

The average redimix truck now is 10 meters or 13 yards there are still the old 7.5 metre truck used for the small jobs. Most house foundations will take 2-3 10 meter truck loads of concrete it some houses need all the concrete pumped with a boom pumper.

The gravel mines in B.C. Canada produce the highest quality gravel for ready mix or concrete like Lafarge that can produce concrete with 8000 psi strength.

The one pit in the area produces close to million tons of aggregate for concrete each year.

9. n2h20

true...in canada you can carry more weight per truck.. the truck i drive is labeled a 12 yeard mixer.. but we can only legally carry 10 without any water... 60000 lbs total weight. thats with a custom tag axle..
    those boom trucks i have seen them take up to 3 trucks at a time... we have never mixed into a large boom truck.. but we can keep up with the standard pumper..even the really fast guys... :)
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

10. Gravel Rat

Most large houses a boom pump is a must as most jobs a redimix truck can't get close enough and the the walls are 4' to 10' tall off the ground no way to wheelbarrow it.

The pumper truck usually drives into the miserable spot and sits there till the foundation is done and the last readymix truck pulls the pumper back out. Most jobs the one ready mix truck dumps its load then the next ready mix truck shows up pulls the other truck up the hill out of the jobsite because a empty truck won't climb it. Then the other truck dumps its load and waits for the loaded truck to come and pull the truck out.

One job where the local redimix company had to go they used a log skidder to pull the trucks back up the driveway it was too steep and slippery. My neighbours place when they were building that they tag lined the front of the redimix truck with a bulldozer and backed the mixer truck down the hill it was too steep for the truck alone to back down.

If the jobsite is too tough there must be a excavator or backhoe to help pull the loaded or empty truck up the driveways. Some places a loaded cement truck just spins wheels and it has to be pulled up with a machine.