1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Volunteer Firemen

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BMFD92, Aug 13, 2004.

1. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

This thread is for all the fine volunteer firemen in the landscape industry. When there is a call and you are doing a lawn what do you do? I had a call the other day and I left my worker to finish up two lawns and I took the truck to the firehouse. I was gone for an hour and my worker was sitting for 20 minutes. Has this ever happened to you guys? What do you guys do when the call comes in?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im a solo operator and Im a vol ff/emt. If it is a call that needs alot of manpower I load up and go. If its a minor car accident and im 15 miles away then its no need for me to try and go. If I am working in the area I usually try to go.

3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to get there no matter what, all my lawns are close to the town I live in, its a pretty small town, but when theres a call and I can Ill get there. Last night we had a power outage and we were out on the highway directing traffic.

Jeff

4. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

I do the same as grass cuttin fool, Its gotta be big before I load the rig

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If im in the middle of the job, i will finish before i head to the station.Medicals and accidents theres always enough people around that its no big deal if i miss it.If theres a fire i will explain to the customer why i have to leave (if there home) and ill come back to finish in a few hours.. 99% of they time they totally understand.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well if the trailer is loaded up and I am on the road then yes. Otherwise its has to be something worth while. I live 3.5 miles from the station and most of my accounts are farther away than that. We have several member with landscaping business. So on more than one occation we have had 4 trucks and trailers in the parking lot.

I have responsed with the Kubota to a brush fire, since it was just up the street. I was iching to use it to make a fire break. The dame brush truck got there first.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I got kicked out when I dropped out of school, but if I was working in town (or within about a 5 minute drive) I would go no matter what. If I had somebody with me, they come and sit in my truck and do alittle equip. maintenance (fill trimmers blowers, change trimmer line, etc)..

When I start back up in october (will be firefighter, not explorer).. I will continue to do the same thing unless I'm really really really busy or its a crappy call (we get alot of those around here)..

8. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

BTW

GVLawnCare is in the same dept... He does the same thing I do.. Load up and go if close enough..

Two other guys in the dept. are lco's and also do the same thing..

9. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

usually just keep working unless i hear the words confirmed and structure fire......ill get there for a good mva tho if i hear one w/ extrication etc

10. jrs mowing

jrs mowing LawnSite Member

If I am close to town I will stop & go to the fh.