Volunteer Projects

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mbella, Mar 11, 2005.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you do volunteer projects? Recently, I was approached to submit a bid for a project at a local military academy. The senior class wanted to commerate a walkway to the academy. I decided to volunteer my time and resources. I have found it to be one of the most rewarding things that I have done. Rewarding from an emotional, mental and spiritual standpoint.

2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

My first year I did alot of "volunteer" projects where I didn't make a dime!

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you plan on volunteering or just bid them too low?

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Can never hurt business either.

From time to time we will get involved in doing things for NON profit organizations ..whether it is a free design, materials or a break on everything.
    Poinsettias are given to the "meals on wheels" for seniors....bulbs for the cancer society etc.

Weekly talks are given free of charge and attendees are encouraged to donate money for their coffee, which is then given to the Christmas Bureau.

5. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Just bid low. :rolleyes: I had run jobs for my old boss but had never done estimating before so it was learn as I go, as it sometimes still is. No complaints, never lost my shirt on a job and think I did pretty good.

6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Getting ready to start on a park area for the neighborhood that was never finished.

7. pema

pema LawnSite Member

I once organized a "Low Income" lawn maintenance program in a community I lived in several years ago. The idea stemmed from the many wasted calls I got from people who wanted a "Fair" looking lawn but didn't have the money to pay someone else to do it and physically couldn't do it themselves. It required at least 4 or more LCOs and I was the only Fertilizer/weed control company. The LCO's rotated their duties so no one person was doing "No Revenue" mowings week after week.

The local news caught on and did several "Warm and Fuzzy" stories that more than covered the costs. What's more, there may be State or Federal Funds to be had. Never got that far since I had to move back to Ohio after a divorce that left me financially castrated. :realmad: "FREE ROBERT BLAKE".....

8. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I mulch my church and old school every year for free.