volunteering at nursing home lands me a job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettergrass, Nov 27, 2004.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

i was volunteering at a nursing home the other day for school. this place is really luxurious. some of you might have one by you they are called Sunrise assisted living. well as i was there this lady comes up to me and says are you looking for work. i think she means pushing her to her room or something, so i say yea sure. she then says i need lawncare at both of my houses in indian hill. right away i was excited. indian hill is the richest community in ohio and you have to buy a min of a 1 acre lot to live there. so right away i say yes, give her my card and thank her.

came by today...2 days later.....and i gave her a estimate for both the lawns. both have a pool so most the back yard is concrete. comes to a total of 155 for both house per cut. not to mention she wants me to make a proposal for all the other maintenance in january.

just thought id share how helping people out can end up helping you out.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thats a good story bettergrass
  3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

While we all know that's not the reason to volunteer, being a good person does eventually pay off. Congratulations on the jobs! :cool2:
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I am a volunteer fire fighter / emt and alot of times I am working and end up in an ambulance on a medic call and I have got some calls from people. Sometimes the paitent and some times the family of the victim will pick up my phone number from my shirt. I dont do this as advertising but being a vol. at times I end up on the call before I can change in to my duty uniform.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

This is a perfect example of how there are hundreds of ways to get new work...congrats.
  6. bettergrass

lol yea i did feel kind of bad and even asked one of the ladys at the front desk if it was alright to be accepting work while i was volunteering. she said as long as im not going around to all of the residents passing out cards and stuff its fine.

and no just like you i never planned on getting a job off this either

grasscuttingfool....do you have to go through all the same training to be a volunteer fireman as a paid one...justwondering
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

exactly what I feel as well
  8. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

To be a volunteer firefighter in Ohio you just need volunteer cert which is only like 40hrs. and be 18 and finished with high school. Or you can take level 1 but it is not needed unless you take level 2 than you can be a paid ff. Your 16 so you can be a fire cadet for a local department usually you need to be like at the most 5-8mins. away. Check with your local fire chief about being a cadet thats what I am right now, next year I will be a firefighter. What county are you in I'm in Warren. I might be able to tell you if your township has cadets.
  9. bettergrass

haha im in warren....deerfield township fire dept is our area i live right by kings island sortof. socialville foster road..... yea i have heard about this and was interested. what do you need to do to be a cadet
  10. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

You just need to go to Deerfield ST-57 and talk to anyone and see if they have cadets and don't be shy they are nice people there. I'm not for sure if they do or not, but I think they might.
    All you have to do is get a application from them to be a Cadet.
    Have a perfect police record.
    Good grades in school above a C average total.
    Be willing to go on runs and to meetings.
    I think a few years ago they had like 6 cadets but I'm not for sure that was them. Are cadet department has 18 cadets the most in Warren Cty.
    Just tell them you talked to someone at Harlan Township FD.
    Good Luck!