volvo mc70b

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tnmtn, Jun 20, 2007.

1. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

went by the dealer today and checked out their skid steers. i was curious how well the pilot controls worked. i've been reading the threads about everyones concerns with the bobcat skid steers controls. i was very impressed with the volvo. the unit i ran was th MC70b. set the throttle and was very easy to control. the only thing that kind of messed me up is backing up and turning at the same time. no fault of the machine it was my first time ion a pilot controlled skid steer. i liked the machine and wll probably go further with a demo on a jobsite. never see much mention of the volvo's hear so i thought i would add my 1/2 cents worth.
    good luck,

2. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Volvo machines are Scat Trak machines. To be honest I have never seen one working. I have been up close too a couple though and looked at them. I cant honestly say if they are good or bad machines. Volvo has a over all good name. They have had a few issues with some of the very big wheel loaders but that is about it. Volvo has pretty much just gobbled up companies and added them to there line such as Agco and Terex has done. As far as I know the Volvo's are only offered in Radial lift machines. At one time that was all they needed but it seems now especially around here the radials are starting to dissapear. Just about everyone I see is a Vertical lift. I would guess they are pobably not the best skid steer but also not the worst. I think Volvo needs to do some serious marketing if they ever expect to sell any.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

volvos are good machines...we have a 15 ton trackhoe with a little over 4000 hours and it is still running good except for a few computer quirks every once in a while. Pilot controls are easy to operate, we have a takeuchi with them and i much prefer them over the old twin sticks with wrist contols.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

They have sold a few around here. Both that I know of will not buy one again. Both own by landscape companies, they are not well liked by the guys that have to run them.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would not correlate the Volvo excavator (which is largely still a Samsung) to a skid steer which as pointed out is a Scat Track largely untouched since the acquisition except for the power plant and pilots. I don't see any thing of Volvo in either machine. I think that will change but so far Volvo has not done much to make either lines their own yet. I was working next to a 210 the other day and the counter weight of the machine still had the Samsung styling (not that the counter weight design means much, but it shows that they are still running the Samsung design). As far as the skid steers go, Volvo needs to spend some money on that machine. They will never capture any appreciable marketshare with a platform like that IMHO. They are offering some killer incentives right now so maybe they are trying to move these machines out in preparation for something new. The Scat Track design did not work well for Scat Track and putting Volvo stickers on it is only going to go so far.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a lot of experience with various, large, Volvo machines. In fact, during the 90's, I purchased about $5,000,000.00 worth of Volvo equipment for the company I worked for.
    Volvo has a history of buying machinery companies that produce that produce fairly average - poor equipment. They quickly redesign the machines to fix the worst of the problems, then over time, reengineer the whole machine to give it total Volvo quality.
    Give Volvo a couple of more years, and I bet their skidsteers will be considered one of the best in the market. Volvo knows how to get it right.

7. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

i believe a volvo diesel and pilot controls could be considered improvements for a few diffrent brands of machines. i was impressed although i wasn't able to really put it to hard work and see how it did. i am looking forward to using one on a job. for the money it is worth a bit more research.
    good luck

8. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Let us know how the machine works out for ya. Im kinda interested to know. I like the looks of Volvo equipment. There is not too many foreign brands that I take seriously into consideration even though I know allot of our US construction machines are made by a foreign oufit.