1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Volvo Skidsteer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by yardworks inc., Apr 30, 2011.

1. yardworks  inc.

yardworks inc. LawnSite Member

Any opinions on Volvo skidsteers? If so what are the pros or cons on these machines.
  2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Weren't they a re-badged Scat Trac? I think J Peterson ran one?
  3. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I've had a few on lease. Not a horrible machine, but they do have some flaws

1, Pilot controls are the way to go, but the cabs are to narrow and you will constantly hit your had on the cab sides when you dump or turn to the left.

2, You sit back in them way to far. Seat is adjustable, but the controls aren't. So adjusting the seat makes your arms more uncomfortable with the shorter or longer reach.

3, The units are kinda quiet on the outside, but they seem to make all the noise stay in the cab. They have no sound padding in them what so ever. If they did, it would help.

4, Super ASS heavy. One of the 90Bs I had would ride wheelies with out anything in the bucket. They also like to ride up while grading, making it hard to do any sort of cutting with them.

5, Hydraulics will over heat and an alarm will sound if you use the continous flow for more than a few minutes. So sweeping or brush mowing isn't one of their stong suits.

6, With the door on, its hard to see out. They mount to much crap on the window, so you are always having to move your head and body in weird ways to see out.

7. Only have a single speed transmission and the single speed they have is SLOOOOOOOOOW. Which sucks for snow removal.

These are just a few things that we didn't like about them.

I did like the Air conditioners. Super cold, heat works good as well. They are simple machines and are still built like the scat tracs theat they were copied from.

If I were looking for a "Cheap" rubber tire unit, I might get one. But key work here is "Cheap".

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

I demoed one and was impressed with it. the pilot controls were smooth. it didn't have a cab but didn't seem any noisier than most skid steers. I read somewhere that they are now going to be selling rebadged jcb's as volvo's.
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

None of the above comments apply anymore. Those models are now gone, unless you find an old one left in stock at a dealer. Volvo now has a deal with JCB, and JCB is building all the volvo Skidsteers. The Volvo/Scat-Trac days are over.
  6. DaveAust

DaveAust LawnSite Member

This video will answer a few questions.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

the new volvo machines look just like the new JCB's single lift arm, side entry, etc.
  8. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

its because the new Volvo CTL is the JCB robot painted in volvo colors

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Sadly, this does mean the Scat Trak brand is now officially gone.

But yardworks, as people have suggested you will need to let us know which machine (current or old generation) you're wondering about. I think the new ones -- if all goes well -- are superbly designed. Whether that design translated into the final machine... not sure.
  10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like the single arm design. Although there are safety advantages to it, the blind spot on one side and not being centered in the machine would drive me nuts.