Vonage as a business line

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by livingsoils, Feb 14, 2006.

1. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

I saw a bunch of people have Vonage for their business line. Is everyone satisfied with it? Are you having any problems? I know it's pretty new so I just wanted your thoughts.

Here is my thoughts:
    I have vonage and I am happy with it except for the occasional dropped calls. I spoke to Voange and they said it has to do with Internet traffic and when there is a lot of usage then voice packages get dropped making it like talking on a cell phone. It is much cheaper than a phone line and you can get a local # or transfer your current number. Your number does not go in the phone book, but you can buy an ad in the yellow pages.
    The best way to avoid dropped calls is to have it forwarded to you cell. Also, i was told that vonage borrows the available bandwidth from the comcast line, that is why it get dropped when there is high traffic, comcast does not differentiate between calls and surfing. But If you spend a little more and have it available in you area you can get the comcast version because they have dedicated bandwidth that is only used for phone calls. :rolleyes:

Just my thoughts.
    mike :waving:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use a cell for business, vonage for home.

From time to time the VoIp router needs to be manually reset, for which reason I find it slightly less reliable than the cell. I'm also not going to get into what I went through with the phone number transfer, other than I'm using their virtual number as permanent (which gives me the added bonus of an unlisted number at no charge, but if I needed to have it listed, problems would likely ensue with the BIG MOMMA network). Supposedly you can transfer your existing number, but what I just said...
    Other than that, 28 dollars / month for a full-service phone line (has everything, free US long distance, call-wait, call-ID, 3-way (I think), you name it). Add 35 / month for the cell, I got 2 non-MOMMA lines for 60 bucks / month.

I'm happy with it.

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

im using vonage for a busines line and a fax line, can be beat for 38 bucks a month

4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Vonage for home use, cell phone for business. I have never had a dropped call yet. Love it, especially the price.

5. Sin City Lawn Care

Sin City Lawn Care LawnSite Member

We use Vonage for Office line's. Works pretty good.
    Pros' - Forwarding is great, Caller Id, long Distance, Voicemails can be emailed to you (very cool), PRICE

Cons - Still new technology, not as reliable as a bell

On a personal note I also have Vonage at home. Have used Vonage for about a year now.

6. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I use vonage for my business line and it's great. Can't be beat.
    us flag

7. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I concur with what topsite said.

I have Vonage for home, cell for business.

I refuse to give Verizon another dime. And I love the fact that I can have high speed internet (cable) and phone for the same price that Verizon charges me for my home land line.

Love the cell for a business line. I have my toll free number tied into my cell.

Tim

8. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

www.sunrocket.com

17.00 a month , unlimited and they give you the phones
    they even have a plan for 9.99 a month if you want minute usage and not unlimited

9. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't get an actual business line your number appears under your personal name in the phone book. Vonage business lines started at 39.99. I pay for the business line to have a Business name in the phone book and in the yellow pages. That's why bus lines are more expensive is because you get to be put in the yellow pages with your number. A personal line will work for you solo guys, but if you're running a legitimate business you need to be known by your business name and not your personal name.

10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have voip for my home phone and like it, except for the dropped call every now and then. I took my land-line business # to my nextel cell phone with unlimited incoming calls. I was never in the office to answer it and I hated to have to return 15-20 calls when I got in from working all day. plus it saved me about $100 a month on a business line!