vote union

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the time has come. we are organizing a regional union. do u want to make what you are worth? or do u just want to make what people think u r worth?

2. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

a union only protects the dead weight!!!!!! If you are a hard worker you don't need a union period. payup

3. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

It will never happen.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Unions are for employees. If your in the union, your boss is the one who pays you. Who pays you?

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby Hoffa????? :p

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

What you are suggesting is more collusion than union.
    Pay equals quality, therefore poor quality means poor pay.
    Additionally, unions represent a means to protect employees from unscrupulous employers and dangerous working conditions - not to protect income.
    Bobby you are many things, yet you are not Eugene Debbs.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Unions means fair pay, better working conditions, safer working conditions, mandatory breaks. standardized raises. WOW paid what were worth and not having to worry about low ballers, the wanna work you have to be a member old fashion union ways. The draw backs would be that I would have to pay benefits and a fair living wage to employees, But since there are no low baller doing work at 25% of what should be charged or 1970 rates that leaves me with more than enough money to cover those cost. The customers would not be jumping from company to company to save a few dollars because the price would be the same, I think that would be more a benefit than draw back. Are pricing for materials would be lower because we would be as 1 in buying power. Fert Co. wants to sell fert to 50k member companies and this is the price that we as a union are willing to pay, if they can't or won't meet it another company I'm sure would be more than interested. I don't know Bobby why anyone would want to make more money spend less money on materials not have to worry about low ballers taking accounts over a few dollars. Suppose the teamsters, uaw, usw, grocers, food handlers, etc are on to something? OH crap there the ones that actually make enough money to hire the "lawn boyz" :D Those fools and there unions

BTW - I'm in

8. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Go ahead form a union, when you all have to charge $200 to mow a $40 dollar lawn to pay for the required seat belts on your mower, full medical for every employee not to mention a set $30 an hour anything over 8 hours is overtime and double pay on weekends. Then of course your union trimmer guy gets sick and then who would trim, your union mower guy would say thats against the rules. Then when OSHA showes up and shuts you down and tickets you for mowing when the tempature is over 88 degrees...I will be non union and rolling in the money because no one will pay your price.
    Unions had a time and place in the USA that time is gone. And as Lawnman said they are for employees not owners...as an owner you will have to charge double for a lawn and make less money than you are now.

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Unions breed rotten, malingering, spineless, and lazy people. Unions were first created with every good intention and now they just breed contempt.

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Oh yea, and how many people will look at you like an idiot when tell them, "I'm with the union, that'll be 75.00 for that lawn." And then tell you to shag off as they head over to there nearset Home Store and buy they're own lawn mower. You wanna make more money, trying earning it.