Vride goes in for service comes out w no oil!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by MTenterprises, Mar 10, 2013.

1. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

First off the change engine oil flashing on the hr meter is just based off of hrs ran. It does not have anything to do with oil pressure. I believe it flashes 2 hrs before the preset hr and 2 hrs after the preset hr. You adding oil had nothing to do with that flashing.

Did you put a full 2 qts in the mower? Are you reading it a couple mins after shutting it off? Is the dipstick screwed in or just to the top?

Really interested in finding out the answers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

Need to start getting into the habit of checking the oil on a daily basis,regardless who's performed a service or daily check IMO

5. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

This a good routine to get in. I do it every night out in the shop so I don't get in a hurry in the morning and not do it.

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

You should be good. If it was just barely touching the stick he mostly likely overlooked adding more oil after running it and filling the filter. Most likely no damage. Most engines will operate on 1/4 of the recommended amount of oil but we need more oil volume to keep it from breaking down to fast.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. MTenterprises

Good to know. Thanks. I think he probably under filled like you said Bc of compensating for what went into new filter. I'm just glad I didn't ruin a motor.

8. MTenterprises

I usually check oil before I crank ...every day and even mid day if I've run them a lot. I just got sloppy.

9. MTenterprises

I added approx 3/4 quart I think. The dipstick all the way screwed in was barely reading any oil. It read no oil with dipstick unscrewed, the way we normally check oil level. This was after it had been sitting over night, so it wasn't still settling. Hope I answered all of the questions. I will have to be more careful next time, but I normally check oil levels before I crank each and every time.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I would still go back and fuss about the sloppy work and blade issue. That's pretty poor service work there. I'm not sure I would even call him a mechanic. That's a rookie mistake he made.
    Posted via Mobile Device