Vts

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by tthomass, Jan 5, 2010.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So for some reason I get no results when searching VTS....??

I currently run a T190 and looking to go with something like a S300 with VTS. I'm open to CAT too, such as a 262. I thought about a T300 or T250 but I like the versatility of the VTS and the shape the tracks have is more functional.

Why not go VTS?

How does CAT and Bobcat compare when it comes to repairs? CAT more $? I assume drive motors are about the only concern of replacement on the machines since they have no idler wheels etc. Change the oil and filters and the rest should take care of itself.

2. Premier Landscaping

Premier Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from ND

I run cat with VTS. The main reason I run cat is that once I got used to the pilots back in 03 I could not go back to any other control style. I know almost all the other manufacturers have pilots now, but I have had zero problems with cat or my dealer so in my mind right now I have no reason to switch.

I bought my first machine when I went out on my own new a 252B I got talked out of tracks by everyone saying so much maintenance and repairs etc etc... But after the first year that was all I could take I had to rent a track machine three times just to do jobs that year that I couldn't do with mine. So with buying the machine new and after the first year not being able to add a second machine, or willing to take the hit trading after a year for a track machine. I bought a used set of VTS. I paid $6500 for it and so far it is the best investment I have made. I have ran the machine 1000 hours now with the tracks on and 300 pre tracks so 1300 total. I have not had any problems with the VTS, just put a new set of tracks on it about 3 weeks ago for the first money I have spent on the VTS system. I have had zero problems with the machine as result of the tracks. Actually the only 2 problems I have had total with the machine is a .69 cent o ring for the auxillary hydraulics and a 4 dollar battery terminal.

I also this year bought a used 262B with VTS on it already. I put 300 hours on that machine this year and everything is great. I can see it had an axle replaced at some point in its life, but its ran great for me. It has about 1300 hours on the machine too not sure when it got its VTS system put on.

I also have a 242B with wheels. There is definately a need, and it is nice to have a wheeled unit for some applications, and I am fortunate now to be able to have multiple machines, but it is never used for grading or dirt applications. Mainly for dumping rock, moving pallets of sod after a track machine has done all the dirt prep so it can move on to the next job and not have to stay just to move pallets, retaining walls moving pallets and backfilling etc...

One note if you try cat I would try a 252 as well as a 262. For me personally I don't know if the extra power in the 262 is worth the extra fuel that it uses. The 252 imo has great power, and fuel economy for a machine of its size and capability.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. tthomass

from N. VA

Aside from power, I'm in need of lift capability, primarily, with a new machine. I went by me local CAT dealer and since a sales guy wasn't there, nobody cared to talk to me and look inconvenienced that I asked questions.

How much were your new tracks?

What did the 262 with VTS set you back? $25k?

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You will pay an MSRP for a set to fit that size machine in the range of 13-15K. I and some others have been able to find much better deals. I paid 5250 for a new set, still on the pallet on Iron Planet. I have them on a CASE 440. You will see an increase in ROC when you put the VTS on. They weigh about 1600 pounds per side.

Other than the width the VTS is a great way to get tracks without all of the associated costs. They ride nice. The newer tread designs are better than the older. I actually cant wait to replace my old tread design for one that produces less vibration.

I agree with Premier in having both wheeled and tracked options are the best of both worlds. I think the life of the tracks and machine are greatly extended when your not running them on jobs that are better suited for tires.

KRtraxx who shows up here occasionally seems to have good connections on getting VTS systems.

5. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I agree with the rest of the guys VTS is a great way to go. If you look around on here guys have breaks downs on their tracks on dedicated track machine and loose time due to getting parts. With VTS you can pull them and run tires and do another job and not loose time. Also I think the traction is better than a dedicated track machine. I was sold the first time I ran my VTS on my Gehl.

Any Machine will handle the VTS nice I think just like buying any other machine is all a matter of preference and dealer support. Also if your in no rush might want to poke around on ironplanet as they usually have used sets of VTS from time to time. That is where I found mine for $3500 and they had about 50% wear at the time and have more than made my money back on them. I need to run tires in the winter for snow so this was my only options but I think it is the best option.

DSC00209.jpg

6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I run VTS on a Case 440(highly recommend), I got the VTS on an older machines which I used for two seasons. The cool part is I traded in the old machine and kept the tracks for the new machine. I have had no problems with the VTS, I don't know how many hours are one them. I love them for lifting, unloading block or pavers is much easier and safer. They are also very nice riding. Look on Craigslist, Ebay or Iron Planet for a cheaper set, or talk to Dale at KRTraxx about them.

7. tthomass

from N. VA

Whats ROC again? I actually used to know that one but I guess I'm getting old now.

How much are a set of tracks for the VTS?

I'm not buying new, no need to.

8. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Check your dealer to see if they will warranty the skid with VTS. They are a good idea, but as stated above 1600 a side and only your back wheels are turning them. In my opinion that is to much stress for heavy excavating. For occasional excavating and landscaping you should be good.

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

That is a good point and I think it depends on your dealer. I use my skid like a little dozer but have decided if something breaks so be it.

The 440 is around 2200 I think? It lifts way more, I can move two pallets of Versa-Lok around on the ground(approx4300#).

10. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

From what I gather talking to people down here that have vts

Here are my opinions
    1. If you are doing a lot of grading you will have to get used to the bucket angle, since the added track height of the vts or change the mounting plate on your bucket.

2. Travel speed is slower

3 (my biggest concern) The added stress on the driveline. you have all the power running on one chain since the front are just idlers. I have broken my share of chains with just running ot tracks. Then you have the upkeep of a skid and vts.

Couple other conclusions I have made, you hear all of these manufactures saying that there track machines are not just skid steers with tracks added to them(I think takki started that) they are designed from the ground up. Point to take in consideration with vts. Also in general I think mtl/ctls have gone through their "awkward" stage, they are fairly new machines in general, so I think all the manufactures will have vast improvements on these machines.
    And yes, VTS can be used on a different machine if you trade in and it will give an option to run tires if need be.
    (side note*) Was in KC this weekend and it snowed, I was surprised to see all the tracked machines pushing snow since you apparently you cant. Saw a couple BC 250 and takki 140's with 10'pushers pushing the hell out of the snow. Very impressed!

Good luck reading this and hope my mind didnt outrun my typing skills