W/B bagger problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Roger, May 11, 2001.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I know most of you despise bagging, but there must be some "closet" baggers in the mix.

I have a 36" Exmark hydro w/b that I must use for bagging on some lawns. I have a cloth bagger, with the backing plate - I think it is a common design used on most makes/models. The backing plate extends about two inches beyond the front of the discharge opening on the deck. I'm speaking of the location where the front pin of the backing plate connects to the deck. The bag itself mounts to the backing plate with the pilot pin on the bottom of the backing plate. But, the bag also extends the same two inches in front of the deck opening.

I find that clippings will collect in the front area of the bagger. Most do get blown to the rear of the bag, but some will collect in the front. When the bag is about half full, I often find that the discharge opening is becoming clogged from the material that is collecting in the front, material that should be blown around the outside edge of the bag to the rear of the bag. I need to stop and remove the accumulated material so that the rest of the bag can be filled.

I would like the front the bag to be flush with the front edge of the deck opening to eliminate the buildup of the material in the corner of the bag.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, did you solve it? How?

My thought is to make something that will eliminate the sharp discontinuity between the deck and the front edge of the bagger. If a triangular piece could be mounted in the bag, so that the corner would be gone and the material would flow around the outside of the bag, being blown to the rear of the bag.

Sorry if the explanation isn't clear. This is a case where one picture would help!

2. You need to get a piece of angle iron about 3" or the depth of your
    mowing deck or whatever is smaller and bolt to the underneath of the mowing deck.

In about the middle of the deck have the iron mount flush up against the deck. The other side should be from 4 to 6" from the front edge of the discharge opening so that the clippings are directed rearward and therefore pack the bagger as tight as possible.

When you buy a Toro factory cloth bagger this piece of angle iron is included with installation instructions.