w/b belt drive & sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4ywemo, Aug 9, 2003.

1. 4ywemo

4ywemo LawnSite Member
    from ILL

Thinking of buying a 52 inch belt driven walk behind. One dealer tells me, a belt drive won't pull a sulky. The next dealer tell me it will pull it. Anyone have a 52 inch pulling around a 200lb rider? Thanks...

2. I had 44" toros and 48" lesco's pulling velkes behind them.

One guy I had was 280... no problem, just have to step off it going up a hsteep hill.

This is my youngen, got an early start, pic is for the velke on a belt drive 48"

my kid on lesco.jpg

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 17hp belt drive,I weigh 220 son 225 pulls us around good unless steep hills,with 52 you need at least 19.others may say a 12hp with 60"dec will pulla 300lb man on a 1 wheel sulky through 12"wet grass up hill and never bog.:eek:

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

The belts might slip a little if its wet. Stepping off the velke going up hill is no problem. I am 200 lbs and my 48" would slip when it was really wet.

5. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

I used a Scag 12.5 hp kaw on a 36" WB belt, one wheel velkey, and me ....250lbs...pulled ok....pulls better now with a 18hp kohler. :D

6. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I am amazed every time I read a post with this question, because these dealers that tell people they can't tow a sulky on a belt drive either have no clue or are just trying to sell hydro's. I am 200 lbs., and have pulled myself with single wheel sulkies on everything from a 9hp Snapper 32 gear drive with single width belts and never wore out a belt letalone broke a transmission! The only way I can see breaking a peerless trans, aside from a factory defect, would be trying to force a shift under a load. This will break the trans regardless of a sulky or not. I have a sulky on all of my machines, regardless of deck size and engine size, and I have all hills around me. You will be fine putting one on. ;)

7. bommaritro

bommaritro LawnSite Member

Same as CT except I got another 50-75lbs on him depending onthetime of the day (Before or after lunch):D :D

Ron

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 6'5" and 285 and my 36" Metro HP belt drive pulls me on my sulky just fine.

Mike

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have a 32 and 52" inch belt driven and they pull me, 230lbs

10. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a belt-drive Toro Proline 48 with the kawasaki 15hp twin. I am 6'1 and 220. The mower has no problems at all pulling me on the velke. That dealer is full of it.