w/b blower vs. lawn vac

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little mike, Dec 20, 2005.

1. little mike

little mike LawnSite Member

which do you all think is the better option for debris removal.I'm in the market and my dealer swears by the lawn vac.But he is a salesman so I'd like another opinion.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

never used a lawn vac but i have 3 w/b blowers 2 8hp & 1 11hp work great.
  3. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete LawnSite Member

It is entirely dependent on the quantity of leaves you're dealing with as well as the size of the lawns. I've found lawn vacs get the job done as long as you don't have too large of an area and you don't let the leaves pile up or get too wet and matted. Otherwise a blower needs to be used. Wheeled if you've got a large area. Back-packs if it's a smaller area and to clean up tight places that a wheeled blower handle.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to answer your question, but we own 8 and 10 hp WB blowers, Redmax 8000 BP blowers, and 6 lawn vacuums (Trac Vac and clamshell type). Everything gets used on one job or the other cause all props are different. IMO, it's whatever gets the job finished the quickest and easiest.
  5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I use redmax bp blowers and baggers on the mowers. Like others have said, 'it all depends on the quantity of leaves you're moving'. I don't know your experience in leaf removal, but you're going to have to take a gamble and buy whatever you think would be most efficient.

I've never had much of a desire to do a lot of leaf removal but this year I had a lot of calls and am considering a leaf vac/truck loader next season. Instead of buying expensive wb blowers I'm going to build a couple leaf plows for the mowers this winter. I tried one this season and was more than impressed. I was able to move huge piles of leaves (wet/dry) effortlessly.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Was it the JRCO one Tim?
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

WB blower, i have a lawn vac, doesn't work when your doing the lawns once to two times per season. Even if they say commercial, they are really a homeowner tool IMO.
  8. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Next year I'll be using a w/b blower and a vac. w/b blowers are great on big properties. But on the smaller properties, a strong backpack and a vac will work alot faster.
  9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely get a WB blower vs. a lawn vac. My grandfather used to have a lawn vac (a Giant Vac 8HP), and it was nothing but problems. The darn thing would never pick up wet leaves, was heavy, and if you ever got sticks in it it would clog up. The bag would fill up every few feet if there were a lot of leaves. My 10HP Little Wonder wb blower is a beast! It blows 4"+ deep wet leaves like their nothing! Little Wonders are truly the best blowers in the industry. Get a Little Wonder (at least 8HP), and you can kiss stubborn mountains of leaves good bye.
  10. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I wish it had been, but no...it was one a friend fabricated. I liked it but noticed a few changes I wanted to make in the design. I also want to redesign the mounting brackets. I took a peek at the JRCO mounting brackets and think they are more than I need. I have a much simpler design in mind. Unlike the JRCO, I don't plan on the mounts being universal for multiple attachments.

Trust me. If you ever use a leaf plow you'll never want to do leaves without one again.