W/B Edger or Stick Edger ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bedbug, Nov 6, 2006.

1. bedbug

bedbug LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Im not sure which edger is best. This will is the only edger i will use to get started.

2. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Edging Sidewalks and driveways or bed edges? Will you ever install plastic edging? If so the Brown walk behind edger is top notch, granted it is over $2000 I believe, we are renting it for the time being the 10 tmes a year we use it but within a yera or two we will probably be purchasing one of them.

3. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Im getting a stick edger to start. Becuse there cheaper and much eiser to store on a trailer. If I got a good deal on walkbehind. I would probly buy it becuse it is eiser if you have a long stretch for the first time.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

..............stick.............

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you can find a good deal on a used little wonder wb edger, I would buy that but I am probably going to be getting a stick edger for next season. Either Echo pe 230 or 260 or Shindaiwa LE 261.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you do not own an edger at this time, get a WALK BEHIND edger for your first edger. The reason being, is that it is much more universal than a stick edger. What I mean is you have the ability to keep edges up, AND you have the ability to do initial edges much easier. Stick edgers have their place - and they are great for quick edging when you can just quickly grab it and go. However, if you have, or are going to have any jobs where you are either doing lengthy edging (anything over 5 minutes), or if you are edging any thicker sod, that is say, more than 1 inch thick, then the wheeled edger shines. It has the power, and ease, as it takes not much more than two fingers on each hand to operate it. With a stick edger, you are constantly laboring, as you have to keep the blade pushed down into the ground, and can become rather fatiguing after awhile. I don't care WHAT stick edger you have (we use Stihl),...or how much power it has, it STILL takes work to operate. Like I say, where the STICK edger shines is it's quickness to grab and go....again, great for the small jobs. With a wheeled edger, they work great on the small jobs as well, it just takes a few seconds longer to unload and load. So, like I say, do yourself a favor, and if you're buying any ONE edger, get the wheeled edger that has the reserve power and leverage to handle the heavier initial edges, as well.

7. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

What is a good price for a walkbehind edger? Or I should ask what is an average price of a good new one. I would like one jsut dont know if I can justify the cost yet. Maybe I'll stick with a good old shoval till next year mid summer then see what I can get.

8. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

get an edgit attatchment for your line trimmer.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

No offense, but an edgit is economical for keeping up an existing edge, but won't even come CLOSE to doing edging. When I see the day that a string will cut through 1 inch thick sod and slice off a slice 1 inch thick - all the while digging a nice even groove, I'll buy 3 more of them.
    For a decent wheeled edger, you may be looking as low as mid 3's to low 4's. It has been found over and over again, that the McClane, such as that that is available at Home Depot, is alot of bang for the buck. These machines are excellent quality for the money, and will give you years of rugged use if maintained and treated properly. I've used them, and have one that is approx. 6 years old, now. I've kept it greased, good blades on it (saves alot of wear and tear on the unit), keep the filters clean. It runs like a charm. What first turned me on to McClane, was that my first egder was a John Deere. Guess who John Deere used for their edgers?