w/b engine help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fga, Aug 9, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have an older bobcat mower, with a kawisaki fb460 (12.5)

it starts right up, but i can't get it to run for more then 15- 20 seconds. i was using it last week running perfectly, and it recently (2months back) had a full tune up with fuel lines and carb cleaning/rebuild.
    i was out of straight gas on my last account of the day, but tried to finish one last house, when the mower quit half-way through. no big deal at the time, finish with the 21's, and get gas tomorrow morning.

i went to start it today after topping it off with fresh fuel, and now i can't get it to run right. i was gonna change the plug (its also 2months old), but the mower starts right up, pull after pull. i sprayed carb cleaner in, but still got the same results.

if i drop it off at the local dealer, i won't get it bak for weeks, even on a minor issue... hopefully this is minor.

any ideas. if i can borrow my brothers camera, with digital video, i can record the more the way its sounds. alittle popping. my camera has no sound.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like its gotta be carb related. Or you may have a bad coil. btw if it is older then you need to adjust valves.

3. fga

do you think dirt is stuck in a needle, or float?

when i say old, i mean, like early 90's, i think. would you have to adjst valves on one that old?
    here's a pic, would this engine have to be adjusted? i'm not familiar with it mechanically really.

wait, it woudldn't load.. ;)
    i already have it posted somewhere, so i have the link of the engine from that post..
    http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38107

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

As already said, You mite have sucked a piece of trash in the carb. when it ran out completely. You can clean the carb. with carb. choke cleaner and spray through all the passages good reassemble and try again. A inline spark tester would be the ticket for checking the ignition system so you can see whats going on. And for the valves they should be checked and adjusted if necessary every 300 hrs. along with decarbon head, valves and piston.
    The valve clearance is 0.0039 to 0.0063 in. (both intake and exhaust) at top dead center compression stroke. The valve cover is behind the carb. so if you remove the carb. for cleaning it would be a good time to check the valves.
    Good luck

5. fga

thanks for the info. glad you guys are on here. :drinkup: