w/b mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A+ Lawncare, Apr 28, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

is an 48'' w/b mower okay to use on an .25-.50 acre lot?

i was thinking of an bobcat classic any advice on them? i'm going to need an mower that multi task, i will be doing both bagging and non bagging(mulching) so i need this mower to excell at all aspects....

i have an budget of $3,500 i know this budget will only be able to get me an 48'' fixed deck and a belt drive.... so whats a good mower for my budget?

i'm going to start small and max out @35 lawns from 1acre and less.... so there will be need no need for a trailer, i've been looking @ rangers due to economic fuel, and i'm only a junior in hs, so a big truck is no need.... i plan to load up the mower in the bed so can a 48'' w/b fit in a ranger 6ft bed? :help:

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

the only 2 concerns I would have on smaller yards with a 48" is one , gates and the other would be is the yard so small that the grass from the discharge chute is gonna blow into beds... if you are mulching with a mulch kit it wouldnt be a concern... or bagging for that matter....

I just picked up a 2004 leftover 48 Metro for 2400, new they are like 2700-2800. I know they sell Toro's 48 Proline for like 2600.... Bobcats seem to be a little more pricey at around 3100 around here

3. A+ Lawncare

whats the size of sq. feet safe to mow w/an 36'' mower and a 48'' mower?

i've looked @ prospect customer's lawns and gates are not so much of an issue

4. ztoro

If it were me, I would go with the 48 if it fits... Get your self an OCDC and you should be fine..... If you have some 1 acre lots I wouldnt want to use anything smaller than a 48.......

5. A+ Lawncare

whats an ocdc?

what does an grass gobler (bagger for w/b) cost? in the fall can i use this for catching leaves?

6. ztoro

operator controlled discharge chute... A lever allows you to tempoarrily block the discharge chute so all the grass doesnt blow into beds, etc.....

I have an Accelerator Bagger.. not as heavy as the grass gobler and bigger... I use it for leaves in the fall....

Its best to mulch the leaves first then mow again while bagging....

7. A+ Lawncare

what does the OCDC and the accelerator bagger cost for an 48'' mower

8. SuperFast

SuperFast LawnSite Member
    from Tenn

Hustler has a new mower called the gate star might want to check it out might be what you are looking for if you have a lot of gates to get through

P1010098.JPG

9. cutrite

cutrite LawnSite Member

Go with the Bradley 48" with 15Hp for $1899.I've got 38 accounts and use it for most of them. I love it. It is really a quality mower and a quality stripe job.Then you will have money left over for something else or save.

10. cutrite

cutrite LawnSite Member

Man I've never seen that mower before. That looks awesome. Might have to check in to it next year.