w/b on pickup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pines, Feb 11, 2004.

1. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Is it realistic and practical to assume that I can operate my startup business utilizing a 32" or 48" w/b from the bed of my pickup (f350 w/ 8' bed). I realize that I have to ramp at every stop, so how much of an inconvenience is this (and is it safe for that matter)? I am just looking for ways to eliminate dragging the trailer out in order to make tight neighborhoods more accesible.

Kind of relates to bobbygebb thread regarding big vs. small residential accounts. Windshield time makes a diff.

2. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

where will the grass go and all your other equip.??????:confused:

3. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Around here we mulch. I have a crew cab so I can utilize space there. Also I built pressure treated bed walls in which I incorporated a rack that is capable of holding 14 long handled tools. I am also looking at one of these on my front hitch:

http://www.hmfinc.com/index.php?pag...&category_id=f5633acaa90a69a2f0b34e0a45748397

4. greenback

from L.I.

i guess if you do not mind ramping your mower every time. maybe look into a used trailer. i just bought a new enclosed for 2000, check ebay or your local paper, you might find something. if not have fun with the ramp.:D

5. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I used to cut out of a pickup with an 8 foot bed.

You can fit two 48" machines one after the other. You can't use the gate but if you put machine in gear and unlock brakes the machine won't roll out (We used belt drive machines). We also used a bungy for safety. We would put backpack blower in front of bed. We stuck trimmer motor inside a rubbermaid garbage can and let that rest in front of bed as well so trimmer wouldn't roll around. We had to rakes and other tools too. You can slide ramps up the side along wheel wells. This setup works quite well if you are on a tight budget. Taking machine down using ramps is really not a big deal at all.

If you use a 32" or 36" then you have to put one machine sideways and the 48" would go straight in or last. A 32" or 36" machine is much longer so they will not fit one after the other.

6. pines

pines LawnSite Member

I have an 18' foot trailer with side and rear ramps. It has 4' mesh all the way around along with a mesh tool box on the front. My thought or question is, in order to save the headache of pulling the trailer in some neighborhoods is ramping a w/b such a pita that you would not even consider it. By the way, thanks for replying.

7. greenback

from L.I.

did not know you have a trailer, but i did answer your inquiry.

Originally posted by greenback
    i guess if you do not mind ramping your mower every time.

By the way, thanks for replying. [/B][/QUOTE]
    no problem.

8. pines

pines LawnSite Member

no problem. [/B][/QUOTE]

OK Thanks

9. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I never felt ramping with a w/b to be a big pita. I think towing a trailer can be more cumbersome. Especially in tight neighborhoods. It can be a huge hassle in parking and backing up. Especially when you can't find a spot big enough to park truck and trailer.

10. pines

pines LawnSite Member

Ok This is exactly what I am trying to weigh out. Days with the small lawns/ tight routes just take the pickup vs. large lawns wider routes take the trailer. Does anyone else approach it this way or are there things that I have yet to consider?