w/b on slopes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Red Hemlocker, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

Looking to purchase w/b to mow approx 1 1/2 acres of slopes. Does not have to be a lawn quality cut. Need something to handle the terrain. Some slopes are at least 3-1. Was checking out Exmark Turf Tracer HP. Any suggestions?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Try Ferris too. We've been running their WB's for almost 10 years now and they are extremely reliable...

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

H-bar steering makes using the Hustler walkbehind safe to use in extreme conditions. Take the sulky off first. What do you mean 3-to-1....you might need to weed eat that....
    You can use the Hustler walkbehind as a bushog. Holds steep angles with excellent control using the H-bar steering..

philliph on levee.jpg

4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a wb as a bush hog?

5. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

i have a Metro HP 48" 15 kawi. It do a property will a 45 degree hill. it sticks to the hill pretty well but every now and then you have to squeeze a lever to stay in track.

6. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

toro t bar. Works for me.

7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

A 45 degree hill?!?! I may be crazy, but I just can't picture mowing a 45 degree slope with a w/b of any type. As for the "3 to 1" meaning "Rise over Run" I have a harder time believeing that.

My suggestion......a LIGHT 21" on a rope and a guy who won't mind getting a good upper body workout as he raises and lowers it from the top of the hill.

Brian

8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

A hover mower on a rope. very light to pull back up the hill

9. Red Hemlocker

Red Hemlocker LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone. Talked to 2 Exmark dealers in my area. They both said The Ex w/b would do the job, however, one reccomends the 48" hydro for mobility and the other reccomends the 60 " for stability. ???????

10. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

did they show you pics? I hear a lot of talk....can any one produce pictures in real life scenerios? I'll post picture of my Hustler walkbehind and my Hustler Z on extreme anges Friday....Exmark is fine equipment...However it, in no way, will give you the confidence in the machine's control that the Hustler H-bar does...Exmark does not compare....period.

I'll post tonight a picture of my Hustler walkbehind iin the Hustler forum setting in a tight spot, where most people would use a 21" mower, on a high end residential account....it's all about saving time......