W/B on steep slopes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 2, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

The question I have is how do some of you handle your w/b on steep slopes? Last season I had the unfortunate pleasure of mowing a steep slope and made 3 passes and when the 4th pass came around, well lets just say it was a fun ride down. I did not loose the w/b but down the hill I went holding on for dear life. There were tire tracks from when another w/b was there so I'm wondering "how'd they do that"?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Start at the bottom and work your way across on a 90 degree angle is how.

3. nobagger

from Pa

Rod I'm not a mooron but I'm not following- you mean corner to corner?

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

straight across

5. nobagger

from Pa

Thats what I thought but when your half way up the hill am I going to run into the same problem?

6. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

always turn mower going up the hill ,i have also found to lower air pressure in tires for more grip

7. nobagger

from Pa

Got ya! I see what you mean Rod. Thanks Rod and Traman I see your method to our madness! :waving:

8. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

no bagger i see you have exmark ,they also make weights for the front end for more stability ,not sure of cost ?

9. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

Don't laugh...

I have a hill like that at one of my sites. I can barely stand up on it. We use baseball cleats. I picked up a really cheap pair at the local sports store. Now I feel like spiderman.

10. nobagger

from Pa

turfman same here I used a pair of my softball cleats with steal spikes in them and still was hard to keep my balance. I don't think I'm getting the bid this year but might not be a bad thing. :dizzy: