W/B or Z for 1+ acre?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckydooley, Mar 22, 2008.

1. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so I have been targeting <1/4 acre lots and been pricing on the high side when anything larger calls in an attempt to not get the job. Despite this I have picked up 2 accounts that are 2 acres and 1 account of 1 acre. I think I am going to need somthing a little bigger than my quick 32 to be effecient.

Should I be looking at larger walk-behinds or a Z. I dont want to finance anything and my budget is about $3000 max. Largest I can go on my trailer is gonna be about 48". Local LCO told me to save money and pick up a residential toro Z. That is what he is using, and says he has had good luck with it. Any advice? Not much used on craigslist near me but here are a couple. Thanks

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/614266847.html

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/613756953.html

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/613201079.html

2. 4Leaf

4Leaf LawnSite Member

How about a Quick 44 with stepsaver?

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Dooley....Im a Tulsa guy too...I have a 48" Deere Quik Trak. It has all the benefits of a ZTR but still is small and manueverable like a walk behind.

It is small enough to put on the little yards without customers feeling like its too big for their yard. It is a big enough mower to mow an acre pretty quickly.

If would go with a small Z or stander type mower. Wright, Deere, Great Dane...

4. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

Ya a stander may be just what I need. Didnt consider one before. What kinda prcie would I be lookin at for a 48" Deere like yours?

5. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

yeah. a quick 44 w/ SS might be good.

6. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

1+ acre's can be cut with a Walk-behind, the answer is really how fast do you want to get done ? I'd reccomend a ZTR For 1+ acres. Much faster and more productive on that size.

7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I would say if your pricign is accurate you arent goignt o want to just go up 12" or so. you are gonna want and get a wider mower like 52 or 61 at least to make it worth your while.

2 acres of turf will take a long time on a 36" or even 44".

You maybe shouldnt have bid on those properties before you had the equipment to effectively handle them.

8. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

you could buy a z and just market to get some more larger accounts.

9. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I just thought of something

Dont worry about getting a zturn over a walkbehind, worry more about the size you need and how it will fit your trailer etc. If all you have is $3000 you might be hurting because you might need a new trailer and a larger mower. If you just cant figure out a way to get more money then focus on the widest mower you can get on your trailer. Will you be able to put a 48" and your 36" on the same trailer or can only one machine go with you?

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Either a larger walk-behind or a stander. The Z's will get too expensive unless you got a mini.