W/B Questions

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Atlantic Lawn, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Great Forum, thanks so very much for providing it.I have an older 48 Viking. V48 14K H, S/N 125327.I have greaseable spindles, I replaced the bearings recently on the left side. Bought the bearings at lesco for about six bucks each.They failed after about 50 hrs.Plenty of grease. We cut loads of sandy lots here. What is the part number for the replacement spindle assembly ? Would I be able to install a spindle with sealed bearings ? The motor is a Kawi and it has developed a knock in it now, disappears as you increase the revs. A friend said the kawi's do this and showed me a plate on the back of the motor and said there was a brass part that wears out and causes the sound and problem. Can you please explain. Thanks again.....Steve

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was measuring the blade tip height on my metro 36" tonight. i have ALL the 1/2" spacers and the 3/16" or 1/4" (which is it?) below on the lower part of the front casters. i have the stock axle position D setting and two spacers above the blade and under the nut. i measured dead on 3 1/2". is this correct or should i be cutting a little higher. tire pressures have been checked and rechecked and nothing is bent.

the reason i ask is it seems to be cutting lower than others when using similar settings.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Steve wrote:

The motor is a Kawi and it has developed a knock in it now, disappears as you increase the revs. A friend said the kawi's do this and showed me a plate on the back of the motor and said there was a brass part that wears out and causes the sound and problem.

A knock that "disappears" as revs increase is usually a loose wrist pin. The plate on the back of the engine is the balancer support shaft. It is not made of brass. If the support shaft is worn beyond it's limits then engine disassembly will be required so that the clearences on the balance weight can also be checked.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve,

It is possible to update your machine however it may not be real cost effective in your particular case.

You'll need 1 of 1-324264 and 2 of 1-324265 spindle assemblies, which includes the bearings, housings, spacers, pulley's and shafts. You will also need 1 of 1-323545 spacer that will ensure your cutting height stays consistent with your current set up.

All this will run you around $550, and as long as you’re that far into things I'd look at the deck idler and all of your belts.

That's not a bad deal considering what you’re getting. The problem is you've got a 14 hp Kaw with a knock in it. Knock is baaaad in any engine. Knock is the sound they make just before they go boom.

You friend is probably referencing the balance shaft in this engine. I'm not sure what it would cost you to have the balance shaft repaired but if it goes too long it can't be repaired.

If the engine is bad it may be more cost effective to trade it in on a new model. I'd have my dealer listen to the engine and give you a quick estimate on what it would cost to have the balance shaft replaced vs replacing the engine. Granted he's not going to know for sure if it's a balance shaft problem until he gets it torn down but it'll be a pretty good indicator of what the repair will be if it's something else as well.

There is an alternative to replacing the spindles with the no-maintenance variety as well. Replace the bearings with the correct Exmark parts. Use a good grade of synthetic grease and give them 2 pumps once per week and no more. You may find our bearings have many differences including more balls in the bearing, better seals, better steel through out and tighter tolerances through out. It's a good bearing and if you do your part it should treat you well. Balance the blades, lubricate with really good grease, don't over grease and make sure the blades are good and tight.

Thanks

Terry

5. eXmark

MikeLT1Z28,

According to the manual your right where you’re supposed to be. The smaller caster spacer is 3/16" and only effects the cutting height by about 1/8".

It is possible that the others have an issue and it's not in your machine.

Thanks

Terry

6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Thanks to Terry and Richard for the prompt replies. Do you happen to know the part number for the spindle I'm currently using ? Is there any difference in aftermarket spindles purchased from discount catalogs and ones purchased through a dealer ? Are these all manufactured by the same factory ? I guess I will check on replacement motor, are there any factors to consider when choosing a replacement? Thanks Steve

7. eXmark

Steve,

I'm sure there are guys out there that have swapped motors and ran into problems. They might cover something I don't.

Some engines can be ordered in different shaft lengths and diameters. Make sure you know what you’re getting so you don't run into pulley issues. The 14 is going to be you’re most cost efficient re-power engine but there are other options. Just keep in mind these other options may require pulley replacement wiring replacement etc.

As far as the spindles, housings and bearings, I would pull the spindle shafts and make sure they were straight and inspect the housings as well. If all are in good shape don't replace them. I'd then replace the spindle bearings using part number 1-303543.

As far as differences in spindles OEM vs mail order or aftermarket, there can be. Most often there will be, quite often you'll find a bearing or spindle listed for several manufacturers. I doubt that most manufacturers spend the amount of time testing bearings and spindles that we do and probably have not gone through as many evolutions that we have. It's possible that the aftermarket suppliers are using the same grade of steel that we spec out for the spindles, it's even possible that their spindle shafts are machined to the tolerances we specify. It's also possible that they don't. Don't get me wrong the bearings and spindles themselves will fit but that's about where the commonality ends.

When you star looking at the bearings generally you'll find we have more grease in the bearing, better grease in the bearing, better seals and better quality control from our suppliers. There are very few bearings that meet the "bearing industry standards" that will meet the tolerances we've spec'd out and out suppliers are supplying. I'm reasonably sure there is a reason why the bearings you just replaced only lasted 50 hours and these same can hold true for other components.

Thanks

Terry