W/B stalls unless choked.. Help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gogetter, Jul 29, 2005.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

My walk behind starting giving me a problem today.

Was mowing a lawn and it ran out of gas. Filled it up and finished that lawn with no problems.

On the next lawn it starts right up but sputters and stalls. I choke it, and it starts right up and runs smooth......until I push the choke back in, then it sputters and stalls.

Repeated this several times, but always sputters and stalls when I push the choke back in.

What's happening??? Thanks in advance!
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like trash in the carb., Give it a good cleaning, Clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel filter and should do it.
  3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

A few questions. First, how does the choke factor in? In other words, why is it starting and running fine while it's choked?

And as far as cleaning the carb, can you give me a little detail on best way to go about it? As I've always stated, I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy.

Thanks again.
  4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Your mower is not getting enough fuel, it's basically running lean with too much air. The choke restricts airflow so that solves that problem, but you still have to clean out the fuel system. Some engines have "carb kits" available, usually include new gaskets, new float, other parts. Really, to clean the carb, just take it apart, keeping track of ALL parts and what order you took them off. Use carb cleaner to spray/clean the parts, remember to spray out all holes and where the fuel mix needles screw in. Put it back together in same order you took it apart. For any more detail we need engine make and model.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Well, it's a 16hp B&S Vanguard.

I took the air filter off, and that little carb looks pretty intimidating to me with my minimal mechanical skills (pathetic, I know!).
    Hell, in the brief look that I took, I couldn't even see where the carb mounts were!

I ran to get a fuel filter and will go back to look at the carb some more in a bit. I just wanted to check in to see if there was any more input here first.

I might just end up taking it to the local shop, before I get in over my head with a handful of carb parts that I don't know what to do with LOL!.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, That may be the best thing to do, Some techs. just don't like working on basket cases. And make sure you tell them to clean the tank also.