W/b Users, Help me out, need info!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Jun 19, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Purchased a Bobcat 36" with 15hp Kohler Command. I love this thing, has cut times in half, cuts great, and had enough power but...............I was mowing this morning at a local park, put my 2 wheeled sulky on and it struggled pulling me. Sometimes I found myself doing like a skateboard, one foot on and one pushing us along. I have used it before at the park with no problems, just some slowing down with wet grass. 1 thing, the grass was kinda tall, but no taller than usual.

So what's happening, I only weigh 165 lbs. Is there something wrong with this thing or does it just not have the power to pull me. HELP ME. Has anyone else had this problem with thier w/b's or Bobcats?

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Try adjusting the rods that tension the idler pulley's for the drive belts.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I think Dishboy is right, it sounds like you belts are slipping as I have a 36" Toro hydro and it pulls me just fine at 190#. Same 15 hp Kohler

4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Didn't think of that, I will look into that right away. Thanks

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

All of the above and try new belts.
    John

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 32 Bob-Cat and if the belts get wet it will slip.

7. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

you can put on heavier springs, too but the real solution is a hydro.
    Let this mower buy it for you!

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Also check the belt that goes from the engine to the transmission underneath. This is often overlooked. If all the belts are tight try some belt dressing on them.

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have to admit that before I got my hydro I had a crappy scag 19somthing or other belt drive. Durring the rainy season I would douse it with belt dressing so that I could make it to the next lawn. It worked better than when it did not have any but the hydro is the only way to go.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup this is what you will have to do. Many times I had to adjust the tension when I ran a sulky on the belt driven. Not fun to do. Thank God for hydro now