W Series (Cabover) or C Series (Kodiak)?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RedWingsDet, May 27, 2007.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I need another truck, bigger than what I have now. Im not sure if I want the cab over W series, or a C series (like a kodiak).

The W series has a much bigger box, a big storage compartment, longer warranty,and is cheaper ($35,000). The only thing holding me back is I hate how ugly cab overs are. The sides on the dump are about 4-5ft tall and it also has a side door.

The C series is just your average dump body with fold down sides (which I love) and it has a locking diff. and that is going for $37,000, but it doesnt have as long of a warranty and more expensive and not as big of a box.

The only thing really holding me back is:
    1. the w series is ugly.
    2. you cant plow with the w series.
    3. you can haul more with the w series.
    4. you can see more with the w series.
    5. w series is cheaper.

so im really not quite sure on what to do here. its a tough decision. I know I WANT the C series, but I think the W series is a better investment.

what do you think?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would stay away from the W series cabovers they are cheap rattle traps go with the C series 7500 or 8500 trucks. A cabover dump you never can get enough weight over the rear axle the truck is always front axle heavy. You need a conventional cab for a dump you need the wheelbase. The only benefit of the cabover is turning radius but other than that cab overs are horrible.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Im in total disagreement with gravel rat on this. Cabovers are great medium duty trucks and the diesels are great on fuel! My npr hd, plows,dumps,trailers my kubota, hauls 4 tons of fertilizer or 10 yards of much, turns on a dime, the ac cranks, its simple to service, the list goes on and on! Why do you think more and more companys are going to cabovers, they are great medium duty trucks!

4. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with lawn king..

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I also agree with Lawn King. How much weight are you looking to haul? I made custom sides for my truck that one person can remove to have a flat bed. What year trucks are you quoting prices on?

6. Gravel Rat

Keep in mind if he is looking at C series its minimum 6500 (3 ton) trucks.

7. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

I did some pros and cons today, Im leaning towards the C4500, but Im still not sure on what to do. I do alot of sod jobs and I think the C would be alot better than the W. What do others think?

8. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

I was also throwing around the idea of a hooklift, but my budget is $40k, could I get a hooklift perhaps a few years old for that price? Thanks again

9. Gravel Rat

Trying to find a hooklift for that will be next to imposible if you do it will be well worn out.

10. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

C Series if you want to haul anything heavy. I loaded a guy's cabover with dirt and trash to be hauled off... we practically had to hand unload it, and the bed was only about a third full. My 84 C7000 has hauled 11 tons of crushed stone (got the quarry ticket to prove it) and dumped it no problem, although I don't think I will ever purposefully carry more than 8 or 9 tons in it in the future. It will haul 6 tons of material in the bed while towing a 5 ton trailer + bobcat, although it won't set any speed or mileage records doing it.

However, the arguments in favor of the W seem to make sense, if you will be mostly hauling mulch and towing a couple mowers. The right tool depends on the job you are trying to do.