Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Dec 13, 2005.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

What Would You Do?

I arrive at one of my customers house this last week to do a leaf clean up. My customer came out and informed me that she was out working and lost her ring. She really didn't want me running my mowers thinking that I might suck up the ring to never be found again. The leaves was a little wet so I told her that I would blow around for a while and see what happened. Long story short....I found her ring and returned it to her immediately. She was thrilled to tears. The ring was a gift from her late husband of 14 years.
    I finished blowing leaves to return the next day to complete the clean up. When I finished she gave me an envelop and I just put it in my pocket and left. When I got home, enclosed was a check for the clean up plus a one hundred dollar bill.

My question is.......... Do I keep the tip for finding the ring?

I think I should give it back. I know its was worth more than that to her to get the ring back...but come on.......It has bothered me since. Shouldn't it be expected of any person to return the ring.

2. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

She gave you the money the next day right? So she obviously had time to sit and thinl about it. She probably also wouldn't give you the money if she didn't want to. :) Be sincere with her and tell her you greatly appreciate the tip, but didn't expect or want anything for your help in finding it. See what she says next. Also... I usually get tipped this time of year... are you sure it was for the ring?
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would probably keep the money and go on. She had time to think about it and this is what she wants. If I was in her shoes I would not want the money back.
  4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Keep the money but thank her for it. Just tell her you didnt expect anything, and just happy to help! (words to that effect anyway!)

She wouldnt take it back even if you offered it! That ring meant alot more than $100 to her.

Good on ya for doing the right thing!
  5. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Its 100 dollars and its not going to hurt her not having it. You did a good thing and were rewarded for it.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

If you feel really bad about keeping the money and don't want to offend her generosity, give her a credit on some future work and put a note the invoice.
  7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Now that sounds like a good idea.

Were it me, I'd tell her, I appreciate the extra $100, even though I didnt expect it, it is appreciated.

She took some time, thought about it, and decided to give you a fair reward for finding the ring for her. to her, I'm sure that ring is priceless, and you did the right thing, and returned it to her. I'd do the same myself if in a similar situation.
    honest people who will give a priceless object like that back to its proper owner are becoming hard to find, but we will be here.
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

o-so...the C-note wasn't a tip. it was a gift. and you should already know where you are going to spend it today.

GEO :waving:
  9. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Keep it. You did something nice for her that she probably would not have been able to do. You earned it, it's yours. Happy Holidays
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Send her a $50 gift certifacate to a nice restuarant, I would feel more comfartable taking $50, than $100