1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mulchmonkey2000, Mar 1, 2004.

1. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 LawnSite Member

do any of you guys know what kind of flowers that rabbits don't like to eat? I have an office complex that has a courtyard and last year i planted marigolds. Needless to say in a week or so the rabbits ate up almost all 600 i planted. I tried the liquid fence, hot pepper spray, and a few other things and it didn't work. The owner doesn't want marigolds anymore b/c he's afraid that they will be ate no matter what i put on them. Any ideas of what flower they won't eat? I'm looking for something with a lot of color too. Thanks
  2. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

Dead Rabits don't eat......................................Just kidding
  3. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep your flowers and get a product called liquid fence, made especially for Deer, Rabbit, and other varmit. They say that it smells for a while, i believe there is rotten eggs in the substance, but after a while the smell goes away and doesn't lose effectivness after rain. Just put it around the perimeter of your property. www.liquidfence.com Good Luck

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Just a hunch, but I think he tried that.:p

Tried pure cayenne pepper? Pigs blood?
  5. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

did you try a dog yet?
  6. Danimal

Danimal LawnSite Member

poison flowers they usually try these once but never try ttem again.
  7. Mats

Mats LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never had success with repellants, they need to be applied too frequently and after every rain. The only way I've kept rabbits away from flowers is with a fence - and that won't work for your office courtyard. I use chicken wire fencing around individual shrubs/plants which surprisingly isn't too obvious from a distance. Especially if you use the green wire.

If the area is sunny, two flowering plants I have success with are lantana and geraniums. I've heard the aromatic plant Nepeta or 'catmint' will work.

A Google search turned up this info: http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/factsheets/278-97.htm
  8. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Talcum or baby powder will repel rabbits (until it rains).

Thats how I keep them out of my vegatable graden.

Moth balls will work for deer to.
  9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a local artist and have them paint flowers on rocks.:D

10. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

A Gamo 1000, wrapped in burlap, carried in a golf bag will work when repeated applications are made at dusk and dawn on most vertebrate pest. Just be careful. It looks like a real rifle and is more powerful but makes almost no noise. You may also want to consider introducing outside cats for long term natural control.