1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wack with the tip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 15, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, let me try putting what im thinking into words. when u weedwack, do u use the end of the string to hit the target, or the center? example: im trying to teach a new guy how i want it done. if i am wacking a fence, and the strings on my wacker are 7 inches long, the head of the wacker should be about 7 inches from the fence. correct? this is the way i do it. the very tip of the string wacks the target, i can weedwack all day long with bumping the head maybe 2 times. if u use the center of the string, it keeps breaking. anyone get what im saying? how do u do it?

J D CRUSTA LawnSite Member

This was a very important issue to the person who taught me proper weedeating technique. Trim with the tip. I imagine the line as a fixed cutter, and I am "feeding" into whatever I'm trying to cut. If it's dense, I just feed slower. Otherwise, you rag out 7 inches of cord at once, and have to take the head apart to retrieve the end. When I first conciously started using the "feed the tip" technique I was amazed at how much longer the cord lasted. If someone is skilled at "feeding the tip", they can confidently trim around glass, pets, desirable plants, whatever, because they know where the line is at all times.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What JD said :D
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Hey JD, do you often have to trim around pets??:p :D

J D CRUSTA LawnSite Member

Not much, but I used to use a mental trick to increase my skills and imagine that I was trimming around an infant.
  6. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Use the tip and line will last for hours of use. My manuals say to trim from the top down insead of level with the grass but I don't. Trimmed for about an hour straight today using the tip against objects but the whole line in open areas and the trimmer bogged so I started using the tip and feed it slowly like J D said and I never had to respool after an hour of use.
  7. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Ya know,...........you can cut those pills in half.:D
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Great thread! I try to instruct my staff that only the end of the line does the cutting. I can make a spool of line last 2-3 days (up to 60 homes) if I'm doing the trimming. The spools last longer, the eyelets don't wear out as fast and the part that locks the spool to the head never wears. Unfortunately, many employees don't always learn so fast. This is more important for those who edge w/ trimmers, or cut the bed edges vertically like we do.
  9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I used a similar analogy, but it was trimming hairs around one of the most sensitive parts of your body. (in not so many words)
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Use the tip. I am glad someone brought up this subject, I need to take a look at how my help is doing it....just insurance.