Wacker 2540

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mbella, Mar 31, 2005.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody own one? I picked ours up yesterday and I am wondering how others like it.

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Nope Mike don't own one ... it's a forward- reverse right?

Off topic- the MT55 arrived the other day..what a little beast! :)

3. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I want a forward / reverse model - dont want to spend that right now though. But I'm sure I'll regret it in tight spots.

4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Kris, yes, it has reverse.

5. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

How are you making out with your 2540?

I have a wacker non reversible and am getting sick of compacting in 2" lifts. I find myself renting a Stone reversible 8500 lbs for most jobs.

How deep a lift can you compact with the 2540?

Thanks,

John

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know about the wacker but as far as having forward and reverse you surely won't regret spending the extra for that. We bought a reversible from the Northern Tool catalog, has the Honda engine, weighs about 330#, supposed to compact to a depth of 19.5 " We used the snot out of it near the end of the season, glad I never contemplated going without reverse.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

19" ... i don't think so... look at the compaction force.. a 4K unit is only good for 3" lifts.

8. Green-Pro

I didn't say I compact 19" at a time, this is borrowed from the machine description. I fully understand the idea of compacting in 3" lifts.
    Here is the link that offers the machine description, I'm not at all suggesting that I believe this is a good practice, I was merely trying to point out how much punch this particular machine packs. I've used it a great deal end of summer and throughout the fall and am sold on it. I spoke with several friends that are local longtime scapers and kind of went by the rule of thumb that if it takes two guys to pick it up you will get good compaction with it. Again wasn't suggesting it would be a good idea to pack 19" sorry if that wasn't clear :waving:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200314474&R=200314474

P.S. you will notice from the link in the description the compactor has 6856lbs/force

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

at 6k you can do 4" lifts

a rule of thumb if for every 1K compaction force you can effectively compact .75 inches

10. Green-Pro

I Still only pack in 3" lifts, only wanted the bigger compacter to ensure quick, solid compaction.