1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wahoo! Moles are out!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Jan 11, 2006.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

With the unseasonably warm weather we've had in NW Indiana, the ground has thawed, and the moles are out in force! The past 2 days I've had 3 calls for mole control, the cheapest of which will be $200. payup Beats the he!! out of sitting home twiddling my thumbs.

Let's hope it keeps up!
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Are you trapping or using some of the new bait that's out now? Talparid I think it's called... Iv'e been contemplating buying some of the bait and just trying it out at a few places. Only problem is with it you have no clue whether or not you killed one or if he just moved on for a while...
  3. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Your not kidding about the moles. What are the moles eating now? Grubs??? Their having a fieldday in my yard.
  4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

yeah , this thaw has made it a great time for the tunneling to continue when many haven't had to stop most the winter so far. Interestingly I've trapped for them and have gotten a few but getting the homeowner to buy the Talparid might be a task when they dont see you dragging the buggers away! LOL plus its not too cheap to purchase if i'm not mistaken.
  5. eruuska

I don't use anything except Talpirid. The stuff works great. It is pricey, but just like anything else, know your costs and your time, and you can't go wrong. I'm running to Lesco tomorrow to pick up about 7 boxes of the stuff.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Hey GM Landscaping, I tried to PM you, but I couldn't for some reason. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just wanted to pass a message along... I noticed you were looking for a 17 hp Kaw. engine. I was just fishing around Ebay and found one...

I don't know if the price is any good, or about the shipping... Seller says it's a recoil start but the pic is of an elec. start. I'd definately ask questions...

Back to the topic:

How are you charging for Talprid baiting? Can you offer any kind of guarantee for x number of days afterwords to be mole free? I was thinking the same thing, it would be hard to get people to pay for something they can't see working. And if another mole comes onto the property in a week or two do you get accused of not doing your job right?
  7. eruuska

When I was putting together my mole control program, I was told rather vehemently that I should NOT offer any kind of guarantee, because I'd lose my shirt. I decided to not listen to these guys, because I don't want to be seen as not standing behind my work. I decided to offer a 30-day warranty on moles.

When I put together a quote for someone, I plan on at least one extra trip out for re-application, sometimes two. If (when) someone calls me back, I don't go through the whole 3-visit routine again. I simply put the baits where there is clearly new mole activity, especially around mounds.

This way I look good because I offer a warranty and stand behind the service, and I make out okay because I expect to come back and plan accordingly.

As for original pricing, it's no different than anything else. You can kind of guesstimate how many baits you'll use, so you can ballpark your costs. Then figure your time. If it's a small job, I'll figure about 30 minutes per trip on average. The first 2 trips take longer, the final follow-up just takes a few minutes usually. If it's a larger job, like one I'm starting tomorrow, I figure an hour per trip. Then pad it to account for call-backs, and you're done.

And as for people not seeing if it works..... Well, they'll definitely see it if it doesn't work!:cry:
  8. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Jason,Thanks for the link from ebay. I just bought one last night off Ebay. Brand new B&S 22HP twin intek for $336. Time to change my signature.
  9. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

Do you need a pesticide lic. to use Talpirid on moles?
  10. eruuska

You need a license if you're going to apply it "for hire", in other words on someone else's property for money. It's not a Restricted Use pesticide, so if you wanted to put it on your own property that would be okay, just follow the label.