Wait till it Rains?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by greenbaylawns, Feb 22, 2008.

1. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Do you wait till it rains to do an aeration for someone? We see some of these companys go in and get a plug the size of your thumb nail and off they go. We like to get in after a rain where the plugs as long as your thumb. We've tried to have the homeowner water the lawn before hand and it just not as good. True story "had a lady call me once while aerating, her daughter was home and seen me outside. She called her mom at work and told her that I was running a machine in the yard and dropping dog poop all over.":laugh:

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to do a professional job, the soil has to be moist. If the lawn has no irrigation, and the customer dosn't water, I don't really see what aeration is going to help though.

It's a hard call. If you have X number of lawns to aerate that day, and you show up to one that isn't wet enough and you skip it, then you have to come back again, and possibly again to finally get the job done. This is where you have to decide the difference between "making money" and "providing a service for money". If you are willing to aerate dry ground, you are just making money, and of course not doing anything benificial besides that.

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on how much it rains, I like to wait a day or two.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why I use a areovator instead of a areator. The dryer the soil,the better job the machine will do. Of course I have the opposite problem if it rains for a month, but if I am also overseeding, I like the soil to be a little wet, as long as Im not makeing mud it works fine.

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

That's one of about 2 reasons I wish I had bought a front mount Grasshopper instead of the midmount... I just had problems with the length of he front mount and the traction issues. But the aerovator I'v heard such good things about.