waiting for a payment from my best customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Jul 26, 2005.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

well i was surprised when i looked in the mailbox for last month payments just to find out one of my best customers are a few days past due. so, i called yesterday and got the answering machine. left a message. how would you handle this one?.
  2. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I would give them the benefit of doubt. Something may have come up and they forgot. Be patient and just give them a chance. :angel:
    I expect someone here will say to give them the axe. :angry:
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

the phone call is right on, for now, giv them a chance to payup, probably just an oversite.... then go from there if you still dont get it in a few
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if it's more than a week, i'd say at least call asking them if they recieved it. i was just discussing something about billing yesterday with my very good friend. i was late this month sending them out, they went out on the 25th. the due date, however, is still the 1st. my friend said, "and you really expect them to pay, by the first?" i said, "sure, why not?" they recieve the bill on the 26-27th, write check, mail it on 28-29th, i should get it by the first. what's the problem? billing is one thing you should really stay on top of. if they are a client who always pays on time, i'd give it an extra week, then call. we are not credit companies
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's your best customer wait and see. Things happen to people that screw up their schedules for things like paying contractors.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about you guys but, I started reading the obituaries when I got into this business.
  7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

IF they usually pay ontime, i'll bet it's just an oversight. I'd keep'em mowed and give them the benifit of the doubt..... until they're 2 months behind..... then i'll let them wonder why their lawn isn't mowed. ;)
  8. Bgaz

Bgaz LawnSite Member

:laugh: I find myself looking at them as well from time to time
  9. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

That's what my grandmother used to do to see what her friends were doing. :D
  10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

One of my best customers was late this month. On the 10th I sent a past due statement saying that service will be suspended until full payment is made or the client gets hold of me. The same day I sent the notice, I got a call from her stating that she doesn't think she paid for this month and that the reason was that they had summer company the last 2 weeks and the bill, and a couple of others, got misplaced. I'm sure this is the truth because the last 2 times I mowed there were quite a few people at that house. She apologized and promised to drop the payment in the mail on that day. She did, I got it and I mowed. I told her to ignore the notice.
    Just remember, these people are human too and just like most of us, they can be a bit late from time to time for a myriad of reasons. Of course, we aren't finance companies and need to be paid promptly.
    I am going to poll my customers and see how many would be willing to be billed by credit card or by email. Then they can't say, "I lost your bill." or, "I didn't get the bill in the snail mail."

On a side note, does anyone know of a site where I can get info on billing by credit card?